MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:01 PM   #1
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Brisket Question

Is there such a thing as a brisket that just will not become tender despite how long you cook it? I ask because I cooked a brisket from Sam's (prime) for 12 hours at 280 this weekend and it just never "got there." It was injected and moist but still had that roast texture. Yes, it's done when it's done but are there times when you're just wasting time? Thanks and happy eating during isolation.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
sudsandswine
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Any brisket I’ve ever cooked that didn’t come out how I liked I chalked up to operator error. Most times I can pinpoint specifically what it was.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-30-2020, 10:08 PM   #3
Smoke on Badger Mountain
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Josh

Ive had one take 21 hours, but never one that just didn't get done.

24"x52" Custom Offset, Black 22" Weber Kettle , Deep Ocean Blue 22' Weber Kettle, Camp Chef 2 burner w/ griddle. Char-Broil Table Top gas Grill, One very ugly drum, Nice drum coming soon.
Instagram @lumberjacksmokestack
https://www.youtube.com/c/LumberjackSmokestack
Smoke on Badger Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-30-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

You cook brisket until it is done no matter how long it takes. Apparently that brisket needed more that 12 hours.

Without starting a debate, what was the internal temp in the thickest part. I don’t check for probe tender until it reaches 203. Others start checking around 195ish, and others just go by feel alone. If you weren’t near those temps it’s not even close to being done.

When I was learning I cooked a few briskets that weren’t done because I got impatient and figured it has to be done after cooking this long. My wife saved them all by putting them in a pressure cooker with beef broth. Now That we make pastrami at home I’m wondering if you can finish it in a steamer. An oven would also work.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:19 PM   #5
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

When you say it was like a roast, do you mean tough or falling apart Like a pot roast?

Tough = undercooked
Falling apart like pot roast = overcooked.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #6
Shadowdog500
is Blowin Smoke!

Did you slice across the grain. If you slice with the grain even a perfect brisket will be tough.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:46 AM   #7
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

I've had some briskets that seemed to NEVER get tender, but that was a long time ago when I was still learning the "brisket basics." Since I've gotten the hang of "probe tender" I've never come across a brisket which "just won't get tender." I cook a few cases of briskets a week, so I've done my fair share.

280° for 12 hours seems like a super long time for any brisket (even one at 18-20Lbs). What were you using to monitor the cooking temperature? Either way you just have to keep on cooking until it's tender; that's kind of what I refer to as brisket discipline (and the same goes for pork butts)...you have to keep on cooking it until it gets tender and there's no way around it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-31-2020, 06:30 AM   #8
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I think every brisket will get tender but I've seen a few stubborn ones that were dry by that time

Old 03-31-2020, 06:55 AM   #9
Smokin D@wg@77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
Is there such a thing as a brisket that just will not become tender despite how long you cook it? I ask because I cooked a brisket from Sam's (prime) for 12 hours at 280 this weekend and it just never "got there." It was injected and moist but still had that roast texture. Yes, it's done when it's done but are there times when you're just wasting time? Thanks and happy eating during isolation.
Mine did same thing Saturday. Choice brisket from Sams put on 930 am wrapped in paper at 165 had good color and bark , at 830 pm (11 hrs) it was 180 degrees 17 lbs competition trim took it too 14.5 lbs on smoker. Waited till 930 people and family gotta eat at some point so took it off only at 186 IT. Ate fine lil chewy but was good ! this was my 1st stubborn one too , cooked quite a few myself, but it happens .....
Smokin D@wg@77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 08:01 AM   #10
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks all for the feedback. Many good questions and suggestions. I'll supply some more information. I've cooked less than 20 briskets, so I am still very much int he beginning of the learning curve. I used my WSM and the temp was maintained by a GURU. I hadn't set the temp that high but the fire was running hot all night. Turns out a vent had slid open. I had a probe for food temp and wrapped after there was good bark formed, about seven hours and at 164 internal temp checked at a couple places in the flat. Wrapped in foil and lost the probe for the rest of the cook. After three more hours I began probing for tenderness. There was good improvement in tenderness until...gasp...I likely just became impatient by the sounds of things. I cut across the grain having learned that lesson the hard way in the past. The meat was not falling apart and we did enjoy it, just didn't REALLY ENJOY it like good brisket should be. Leftovers went to work where people said good things (what else will they say) and some went into chili. So, maybe the lesson was to be more patient, but I hate that lesson.

By the way, the feedback I get here has always been helpful and I'd like to think has made me a better cook.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #11
mtbchip
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Chip

I have a 12 pound prime brisket in the Kamado since 7:00PM last night. Gonna emancipate the beast at 4:00PM today. Running a consistent 240° on coconut, Oak & hickory charcoal.

Smoking in Apitong wood.....

(fingers crossed, but usually works out).

Old 03-31-2020, 12:09 PM   #12
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

You can make a tender piece of meat tough, but you can't make a tough one tender.

Sometimes a piece of meat just isn't cooperative. When I use all my tricks and it's still not right, I figure it had to have been an inferior piece of meat or the animal was stressed before slaughter.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 01:00 PM   #13
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD08 View Post
You can make a tender piece of meat tough, but you can't make a tough one tender.

Sometimes a piece of meat just isn't cooperative. When I use all my tricks and it's still not right, I figure it had to have been an inferior piece of meat or the animal was stressed before slaughter.
I like this. No more self-loathing!

Old 03-31-2020, 01:32 PM   #14
ssv3
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Sako

All I can say is proper rest makes or breaks a brisket. Ever since I figured out my rest method, I haven't had a bad brisket.
Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-31-2020, 01:39 PM   #15
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssv3 View Post
All I can say is proper rest makes or breaks a brisket. Ever since I figured out my rest method, I haven't had a bad brisket.

What is your “rest method”? C’mon brutha, give it up!!! :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->