UDS Build Question about Fiberglass Stove Gasket

dealm9

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey brethren! It's been years since I have posted here and even more years since I built a new UDS. I went with an open top drum from tractor supply which I knew would not fit the domed weber lid I wanted to use. However I was planning on cannabalizing an entire weber kettle grill for this build since I got a new one and was going to try the mod of cutting the top off the bottom of the kettle to make the top fit. I ordered a graphite coated fibergflass wood stove replacement gasket and it came with this E-Z Spread Fiberglass Stove Gasket Cement. I'm probably being paranoid, however are there any smart people out there than can confirm whether this is/is not safe in the manner I am attempting to use it. I know it's on the outside of the smoker, somewhat, but it would definitely be exposed to the inside of the cooking chamber through the gap it would be sealing between the cut-off weber kettle and the top of the drum. Theoretically I would think that it would be impossible for any fumes from the rope and cement to push down into the drum, but then again I don't really want to take a chance of that happening if I don't have to. Should I be worried about this and look to another alternative? If so, is it the rope AND cement that you would deem unsafe, or should I just use high temp silicone instead of the cement and stick with the gasket? I have no problem getting silicone, but this is what I have now so if I don't need it, it is one less thing I need to buy.
Here are pictures of what I'm talking about:

Also if anyone cares, since I am cannabalizing the who weber kettle, I used the wheels and axle from the kettle. Has anyone used these wheels? They seem like they will hold up fine and feel pretty solid. Hopefully once the smoker is fully built and weighed down they stay that way. I used the handle from an old rusted and bent weber charcoal chimney as a third stabilizing leg and cut and bent it too make the drum sit level. Please excuse my horrible welding. I just got a welder and am brand new at it. I keep telling myself it's called an "ugly" drum smoker for a reason to make myself feel better about it.

I'd skip the cement. Years ago when I tried it on a bullet smoker. The stuff dried out and fell off after a few cooks. Just like it was regular cement.
Get a lot of cooks on that thing. It will seal up just fine.
As far as the wheels. You should be fine for lower temps. You start getting around 400* and they melt. Ask Smokeninja :doh:

I'd skip the cement. Years ago when I tried it on a bullet smoker. The stuff dried out and fell off after a few cooks. Just like it was regular cement.
Get a lot of cooks on that thing. It will seal up just fine.
As far as the wheels. You should be fine for lower temps. You start getting around 400* and they melt. Ask Smokeninja :doh:

Thanks I appreciate the response. I figured there would be something wrong with them or else everyone would be using them. I’ll use them until they go since they are already on there. So you are saying just set the rope there and it will stay and seal without any adhesive?

You can use the rope if you want. If you have a pretty good fit (metal to metal) between the barrel and the weber. Just pop rivet. Or pop rivet and use high temp RTV.
It will seal up just fine. Spray the inside of the drum with pam type spray. Fire that thing up and run it. It will seal after some cooks.
It will leak at first and hard to shut down. But that goes away quick the more you cook.
For an idea, this is the build up inside my stubby UDS. And I scrape the inside lightly when it get's even heavier. Typically 2 times a year. But I cook a lot!

Also quite a few year ago when adding a dome lid to my full size UDS. I did not want to fully weld my dome lid to my flat lid. Center cut out of the flat lid. So my dome lid would fit my drum. I tack welded the dome lid to the flat lid. And use high temp RTV to seal that joint. And painted black.
Worked great for years. Till I started modifying again. :mrgreen:

Attachments

• 17 coal bskt.jpg
    17 coal bskt.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 53
  • dome lid 1 (3).jpg
    dome lid 1 (3).jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 53
Back