My 3 day. Brisket, Butt, Turkey and Sausage. (pics)

Smoke on Badger Mountain

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I have three days off starting today. I thought I would use tonight/tomorrow morning to get ahead in the cooking department.

I'm not a fan of turkey as in the whole thanksgiving type of bird, but it's my favorite lunch meat for a sammie. The place where I buy my butts sells them in twos, so one I'm doing whole and the other one has become the sausages. And the brisket, well it's my favorite and I had the room so...

The brisket is a 15lb choice. Trimmed and rubbed with chili powder, kosher salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic, cumin, and dry mustard. I flip flop between this rub and just S&P.

3day3.jpg

3day4.jpg

This butt was round 8.5lbs pre trim. The rub on this is mostly brown sugar, paprika, and kosher salt with a few other spices
3day5.jpg

3day6.jpg

The turkey comes in at just over 14 pounds. The seasoning is pretty basic. Just olive oil, salt and garlic. I will be slicing up the breast meat for sandwiches. And maybe the dark meat will go into some soup.
3day7.jpg

Sausage! I like spicy links so that is what is going on here. Cayenne, crushed red peppers, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, fine black pepper.....

My little one wanted to help Dad. But the child labor only lasted one link.
IMG_0435.jpg

3day1.jpg

Into the pit @ 18:30. Running @ 250*. That sausage will go on sometime tomorrow morning when the rest of it comes off and I can bring the temp down. I'm cooking this on Hickory and a little bit of oak.
3day8.jpg

I have a bunch of guys coming over to hang out next weekend but I won't have time to cook before then, so most of the brisket and butt will be used for that event. I will be on a solo backpack trip tomorrow night and I plan on taking some of the sausage with me and cooking it over the campfire.

I will post updates as the cook comes along.

Thanks.

Josh it all looks and sounds delicious!! Your helper is a real cutie too. :thumb:

I envy your trip and campfire cook tomorrow. Hope you have a great time!

4Hr update.

4hrs in and it's all coming along nicely. We are having some funky wind patterns here tonight and as a result the pit has spiked up to 300* a couple of times. But with a stick burner you always cook in a range as you all know. The turkey will probably come off around the 5hr mark.

IMG_0466.jpg

update

The turkey came off hours ago, but I needed a little break, But here's a pic. The brisket and butt will come off in the next couple of hours. And then for the sausages.
The skin is dark but the flavor is right on track.
3day10.jpg

A little preview pork.
3day11.jpg

And finally the brisket.

I have a thing for mega bark on a brisket, so I don't wrap at all when cooking. I do place it in a foil boat for the rest so I can reclaim the juices. This was not one of my better briskets, but it tastes great. So for the fam and a couple of buds that's fine.

IMG_0479.jpg

3day16.jpg

3day17.jpg

3day18.jpg

3day19.jpg

Back