Smoked Christmas Turkey on New Smoker

Drummer

Found some matches.
Reaction score
Howdy youall, Firat I want to say that I am a new menmber and wanna say thanks for the Happy Birthday email last week.
Well my wife and I got us a new smoker for Christmas.
We got a Masterbuilt Dual-Fuel vertical smoker. You can use propane with chips, or charcoal with chips and I reckon you can use wood chunks as well. I normally have used charcoal and wood chunks together in the past.
I had Brinkman smokers in the past, both the kind with the removable bottom in case you want to use it as a grill only. The legs rusted off both of them.
I reckon I should have learned my lesson on the first one, but when I bought the 2nd one, I put a good coat of hi-temp Rustoleum paint all around the bottom, inside and out. Still rusted off.
Well I decided on this here new Masterbuilt. Seasoned it twice on Christmas eve and smoked a 13lb turkey on Christmas day.
After 9 hours at 225, and a turkey at 165, I found out I had the front of the turkey touching the back of the smoker.
I pulled it off and brought it up to temp in the oven inside. It was dark and 14 degrees here in Kentucky.
Turkey was great and I shredded the leftovers, doctored up some BBQ sauce and mixed it all up for sandwiches later.

I have been lookin at the forum and learnin what I can and finally joined up with yall.
Imathankinya,
Drummer

Welcome to the forum Drummer! Belated Happy Birthday to ya too!

I am your Christmas turkey turned out well for you.

Congratulations on on first cook in the new smoker.

Happy birthday merry Christmas and happy new year

I like to brine my turkey first. I really don't have a strict recipe for the brine but the last few times I have always used
Salt- of coarse
Soy sauce
Apple juice
Cloves
Oranges-sliced in half and squeezed
Apple cider vinegar
Brown sugar
And top it off with water until the bird will float stir till the salt and sugar are dissolved
I usually let it sit for at least 12 hours
When I remove the bird I take a softened stick of butter and rub it under the skin of the bird.
Sometimes I will even wrap it in cheese cloth that has been soaked in melted butter.
Then I place it in the smoker at about 275 to 300
I've smoked 3 birds this season all 20 lbs. + and they have all been up to temp, meaning 165-170 in just under 5 hours.
I do tent the birds and let them sit for 2 hours before carving them up though.
Happy smokin to ya.

Happy birthday merry Christmas and happy new year

I like to brine my turkey first. I really don't have a strict recipe for the brine but the last few times I have always used
Salt- of coarse
Soy sauce
Apple juice
Cloves
Oranges-sliced in half and squeezed
Apple cider vinegar
Brown sugar
And top it off with water until the bird will float stir till the salt and sugar are dissolved
I usually let it sit for at least 12 hours
When I remove the bird I take a softened stick of butter and rub it under the skin of the bird.
Sometimes I will even wrap it in cheese cloth that has been soaked in melted butter.
Then I place it in the smoker at about 275 to 300
I've smoked 3 birds this season all 20 lbs. + and they have all been up to temp, meaning 165-170 in just under 5 hours.
I do tent the birds and let them sit for 2 hours before carving them up though.
Happy smokin to ya.

That sounds pretty good. Do you leave it in the cheese cloth while smoking; what changes would you make for just a turkey breast?

Back