Advice on smoking a Full Pork Loin in an UDS?

G

guymount

Got a great deal on some full pork loins (Rib Roast, Loin Chops, Sirloin Roast all together) but I've never smoked one before. Any suggestions on temperatures, tricks, tips, etc.

Guy

Is this the Bone in Loin? I love to cook those as no one else around here cooks them and they make a great show piece for a party. Especially if doing a whole pig is just too much.

Brining is a great idea if you have a large enough container. Another way is to get some good Italian Salad dressing, strain out the chunks and reserve them. Inject the loin with the liquid. Smear the dressing solids over the loin and then apply your favorite pork rub. I like to score the fat into a diamond pattern first. Makes for a nice presentation and you will have little pieces of porky goodness to sample when no one is looking!

Here is a pic of a loin all done.

P7030480-1.jpg

Oh yeah. Just cook to an internal temp of 145°. It will be perfect and the tenderloin will be awesome! In my experience it takes just about 4-5 hours for one of theses to cook at 250° cooker temp. Good Luck!

It's probably too long to fit into the UDS whole, so cut it in half, brine, and cook to 135 internal. It will rise to 140 while resting.

You could cut it in half or thirds, and experiment with different techniques, rubs, injections etc. The smaller pieces will be easier to manage on the UDS.

Number one rule when cooking pork loin... Do not overcook it! Keep an eagle eye on that thermometer, and don't let it go past 140 on the cooker. Tent/rest for 30 minutes and enjoy. FYI, loins cook up fast, so the cook time should be less than 2 hours, and may be closer to 1 hour, so pay attention.

Was recently reading a post where some dude smoked a loin for 5.5 hours...... W... T.... F!

Seen far too many ruined loins that are cooked to 155 and above. It breaks my heart! :icon_shy

Since we're talking about smoking, I'd also recommend keeping it as cold as possible before tossing in the cooker. Better chance for bark and ring before reaching 140 or lower like Ron said.

Play with any marinades/rubs... however just do not cook past 140-145 internal temp..

I agree with Ron. Make it practical, and let it finish at 140 by pulling it off at 135.

Back