MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 AM   #16
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

People are still squeamish about pink pork from the "old days", but the guidelines have been revised as Qdoc mentioned. I prefer cooking pork loin at 275 or higher. I feel that it get a better crust on the outside, but I've done them at 225 - 250 when it was more convenient. I shoot for an internal temp of 140 - 145 and then rest under a foil tent for 30 minutes. It should be 150 - 155 after the rest and that keeps it moist, but the center isn't pink for those who worry about that.

WATCH THIS SPACE!!! BBQ Brethren Chicago Area Picnic Planning Starting Soon

Naked Fatties Rock!

4x Hunsaker Cans/PK360 X 2/Campchef FTG600/Southern Q Limo Elite/FEC-100/Memphis Pro SS/PBC/LBGE X 2/SBGE/Mini BGE/Good-One Model 42/WSM/Cookshack Smokette 008/Weber Performer/Saber Cast 500/Weber Kettle X 2/Weber Smokey Joe/WGA/BS Pizza Oven
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 09:27 AM   #17
Chucktown
On the road to being a farker

I cook mine at higher temp also, around 300-310.. If I cook at a temp between 225-235 the loin seems to get a rubbery texture to it. Higher temp puts a nice sear on it.
Chucktown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 09:43 AM   #18
El Ropo
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I also cook mine at around 300, and take it to 140, pull and rest for half hour or so.

Another thing to watch out for with pork is the salt content of your rub/marinade. I've found if I use a salty marinade and let the loin sit for any length of time, the meat will develop a hammy flavor, which is not appealing for a pork loin. To avoid this, I only dry rub my loins right before tossing on the smoker. No marinades, unless I made one myself with no sodium.

Also avoid loins from places like walmart that are "enhanced" with solution, they're probably gonna taste hammy as well.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-08-2011, 11:21 AM   #19
Big slick
is one Smokin' Farker

Well last night I covered it with mustard and SM Sweet & Spicy rub. It's in the fridge and I'll be smoking it Saturday. We will see how it turns out. I appreciate all of the ideas and suggestions. I am going to smoke it with spare ribs so I will be cooking it at the 225-250 temp this time. Next time I will try cooking it around 300+. Thanks again for the tips!!

Tags
pork loin