MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2018, 08:03 PM   #1
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Turkey Advice

Smoked my first turkey today. It was about 13 pounds and was brined overnight with an herb, salt and sugar mixture. Offset Oklahoma Joe's cooker with mesquite. After two hours I wrapped the bird in paper and cooked until 165. Rested for 45 minutes before cutting. I was happy with how much moisture was coming out of the breast area but it still tasted dry. Also, the smoke was too intense. The herbs were overpowered by the smoke, and so I have to adjust because this isn't my oven! I sure would like some feedback. Thanks.
West River BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2018, 08:08 PM   #2
Joshw
Babbling Farker

I personally like mesquite with poultry, but it is intense. If you think the smoke was too much, try moving to pecan, cherry, or apple. Also what temp did you cook at? I like poultry cooked hot. 400+ The quicker cooking time, keeps it from drying out, and the higher temps crisp the skin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
Smoked my first turkey today. It was about 13 pounds and was brined overnight with an herb, salt and sugar mixture. Offset Oklahoma Joe's cooker with mesquite. After two hours I wrapped the bird in paper and cooked until 165. Rested for 45 minutes before cutting. I was happy with how much moisture was coming out of the breast area but it still tasted dry. Also, the smoke was too intense. The herbs were overpowered by the smoke, and so I have to adjust because this isn't my oven! I sure would like some feedback. Thanks.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #3
spaulding4181
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
Maybe pull it 10 degrees earlier to account for carryover.

Old 06-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #4
tom b
somebody shut me the fark up.

I dry brine with Naturific Harvest Brine, this was a little over almost 170 IIRC

Old 06-30-2018, 09:27 PM   #5
Kevin89
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

This was on my 18.5 Kettle had to make some modifications to fit it, but it worked.. I used cherry wood chips, I find mesquite too heavy for poultry.

Last edited by Kevin89; 06-30-2018 at 09:57 PM..
Kevin89 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
turkey