First Cook In A Pit Barrel

jcd

Found some matches.
Reaction score
After a lot of pondering I finally ordered a Pit Barrel Cooker...
It arrived beautifully packaged and I was so excited to get going on my first cook. I decided to do a trip tip and baby backs.

The set up: Kindsford Original with about four baseball size chunks of Mesquite. a 2.5lb Trip Tip and One Rack of Ribs.

I lit the coals using the chimney method with about 40 briquets in the chimney and then poured them over the rest of the coals which consisted of about a little less than half the basket. In total the basket was not filled. I thought I could get away with not using the whole basket since I was doing a short cook and I wanted to squeeze out the rest of my Kingsford for another cook, so I shorted the basket. It was a mistake.

For the trip tip I used my own rub and for the ribs I used the Pit Barrel Rub.
As the online video said to use.

Everything turned out good, but I learned something. Do not undercut the basket of coals. I think it would served me better to have the whole basket full of coals like Noah at PBC recommends. While the trip tip was incredibly moist and tender, it didn't have much of an outer bark - would you call it a bark?. The flavor was incredible and loved the smoky quality from the mesquite. It took about 50 mins, which was longer than suggested which, because I don't have a thermometer I don't know, meant that I had lower temps. All and all I was still impressed.

The ribs turned out nicely (pics attached). They cooked about 2.5 hours. I thought it would have a little more smoke ring... my kids destroyed them. I used a new bbq sauce called Rufus Teague that I liked a lot buy my wife didn't. She thought the ribs were more salty then usual, and I'm thinking it was from the Rub. In the video Noah says he likes a lot of salt. I generally use my own rub that doesn't consist of a lot of salt and has a hint of thyme. Anyway, I thought they were delicious.

I hope I didn't miss anything. Next stop half chickens!

Attachments

• IMG_1298 (1).JPG
    IMG_1298 (1).JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_1299.JPG
    IMG_1299.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1298.JPG
    IMG_1298.JPG
    37.1 KB · Views: 256
  • IMG_1300.JPG
    IMG_1300.JPG
    45.3 KB · Views: 256
Even with a full basket I don't get a real bark. I get a very nice dark color with an incredible taste.

• Thanks
Reactions: jcd
Nothing wrong there. Looks great ... seems about right for a PBC ... hang & forget .. that's what I do. I don't obsess about temp or anything ..

• Thanks
That is a sweet little smoker! BUT, not near as sweet as those ribs!!:clap:

• Thanks
Very nice indeed!!

• Thanks
made a rack on my PBC for dinner last night and they were awesome as usual.

one thing I do, if I am only doing one rack, is cut the rack in half so you don't have an end too close to the coals.

I love my PBC

• Thanks
Sounds and looks great. I have made tri tip on the PBC and it was outstanding. Not much of a bark but if you cut in thin slices like we do it doesn't really matter. Continued success with your PBC.

• Thanks
My Doc might have a problem with me eating those.
I just can't see that I would though, they look awesome.

• Thanks
Congrats on your first cook. Half chickens come out great on the PBC!

Congrats on your first cook. Half chickens come out great on the PBC!

Woot woot. I just did my first half chickens and they were awesome!!
My kids loved 'em and my wife said they were really good. I prepared them exactly as instructed from the PBC website and they were perfect. It did take 2 hours, but juicy, nice skin and the flavor was fantastic. I used 4 chunks of mesquite in addition to the kingsford original. I served them with some pinquito beans that I quick soaked and prepared santa maria style. Check out the pics...

Attachments

• IMG_1306.JPG
    IMG_1306.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_1305.JPG
    IMG_1305.JPG
    41.6 KB · Views: 114
Looks good, and your cheering section seems to like them! Looks like a good family project. Good job!!

Blessings,

Omar

• Thanks
Back