Oakridge BBQ Habanero Death Wings

Habanero Death Dust wings on the kettle. I've got ever things smoking as well, so may not be able to really hit that last super hot step, but we'll see. Also used the Death Dust as the second sprinkling on my ribs before foiling. Can't wait!

It's just plain ol' fun mentioning Habanero Death Dust to my co-workers. I can't wait until I get my hands on it. Thanks Mike.

I took delivery of #18 today. On tap tonight: Homemade Habanero and Bacon Sausage. I'll be using spare rib trimmings, a little pork sirloin and uncured center-cut bacon.

Oh, and the Death Dust, of course.

John

My order arrived on Saturday and I couldn't resist putting a pinch on my tongue....

KABOOM that was some flavor! I normally shy away from habanero spices and sauces because I only get the heat, never any really good flavor. With the Oakridge BBQ rub I tasted chiles, paprika, and sugar up front, then when the celery salt started to come through the habanero heat started to rise. The heat was strong but not more than I expected. The real surprise was the flavor profile, it was better than any habanero spice/sauce i've ever had. I can't wait to grill some Habanero Death Wings this weekend!

Last edited:
My order arrived on Saturday and I couldn't resist putting a pinch on my tongue....

KABOOM that was some flavor! I normally shy away from habanero spices and sauces because I only get the heat, never any really good flavor. With the Oakridge BBQ rub I tasted chiles, paprika, and sugar up front, then when the celery salt started to come through the habanero heat started to rise. The heat was strong but not more than I expected. The real surprise was the flavor profile, it was better than any habanero spice/sauce i've ever had. I can't wait to grill some Habanero Death Wings this weekend!

Thanks! That's exactly what I was aiming for. I too have had enough with all the "all heat no flavor" products out there. I'm thrilled that it sounds like we hit the mark with this little special project...

Thanks!
Mike

By the way... you were dead-on about the celery and salt, however since we would never use a pre-blended celery salt in our products, what you were tasting was fresh celery and sea salt in just the right proportions... :becky: :thumb:

I made wings using this method this past weekend. I didn't have the HDD on hand, but it's the process that intrigued me - wings that look sauced without the hassle and mess of saucing? That's brilliant!

For wing rub, I like to take scrap savory rubs that I don't otherwise plan on using, and add Chipotle powder for taste and heat. I'm going to do a lot more testing of this method in the near future as my initial results were very impressive.

I made some wings at work Sunday night, BAM they were a big hit ! Gonna make more next week, they had just the right amount heat and tingle, no problem & great taste. Gonna double the amount of dust next time, great flavor Mike !

Scott

Got mine in today and did the same thing with a pinch on the tongue.I agree with the descripton of the flavor profile. Think you have a winning combo of flavors. I just might have to order another one.

EatMoreHeat.com just did a video review of our new Death Dust on YouTube...

Check it out!

http://youtu.be/yqCmaVDau-Y

Hey Mike,
I just watched the video, looks like your off to a great start with the rub you created. I still have not opened my package of death dust since Im the only one in my home that likes spicy like that. I think IM going to wait for my son-inlaw to show up and cook wings with it like you did. One question for you Mike. Would you cook them wings any different on an old Kaman smoker?

Hey Mike,
I just watched the video, looks like your off to a great start with the rub you created. I still have not opened my package of death dust since Im the only one in my home that likes spicy like that. I think IM going to wait for my son-inlaw to show up and cook wings with it like you did. One question for you Mike. Would you cook them wings any different on an old Kaman smoker?

I am not sure what a Kaman smoker is but I would imagine you could. I cooked some wings last night on a UDS and they came out great. The two things you need to be able to do is smoke low for an hour or so and then crank the heat up to get the skin done. If your cooker can go from low to hot fairly quickly or if you have another grill to finish the wings then you should be fine.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117096

Hey Mike,

I am not sure what a Kaman smoker is but I would imagine you could. I cooked some wings last night on a UDS and they came out great. The two things you need to be able to do is smoke low for an hour or so and then crank the heat up to get the skin done. If your cooker can go from low to hot fairly quickly or if you have another grill to finish the wings then you should be fine.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=117096

Not sure about the Kaman smoker either, but Brad nailed it in his reply. Just follow the recipe and then smoke them for 1 hour at around 225º, then ramp up your smoker (or move them to a grill) and finish them with high heat.

Thanks!
Mike

Can I get some info on ordering the death dust? I want to order some of the venison rub and would like to add the dust to my order.

Thanks.

Back