Wagyu and Wagyu Sources

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I've noticed what for me appears to be an explosion in Wagyu availability online.

Crowd Cow, Debragga, and a myriad of ranches and other sellers now including real Japanese A5 stuff.

It's important to know the differences in Wagyu IMO if you're really chasing the best stuff out there at the best price. Below is my understanding and rough ranking, and I am by no means an expert:

• Japanese Wagyu (actually imported from Japan typically A4/A5 and BMS10+) super expensive

• Australian Wagyu (imported from Australia's Wagyu ranches uses a different scaling up to A9) very expensive, but not AS expensive as Japanese

Now things get tricky.

• American Wagyu:

American Fullblood Wagyu (this means the animal is 100% Wagyu line and theoretically will resemble the best Wagyu characteristics) expensive, but not as bad as the top two usually (Australian can be cheaper sometimes)

American Purebred Wagyu 93.75% of the genetics must be Japanese Wagyu - I haven't experimented enough with the differences in this and full to render any judgments

American Wagyu Crossbred So basically anything with less than the 93.75% number will fall into this category which obviously is a huge potential difference - things definitely get less Wagyuey here IMO, but I imagine there is some fantastic meat to be had from say an Angus/Wagyu cross

So I thought I would post a little primer from my perspective, which may have some inaccuracies and I welcome any feedback saying as much.

But what I'm also wondering is have any brethren been on a similar search and found any ranches that you feel produce amazing and consistent retail Wagyu options.

Thanks!

Don’t know where he sources but the Butcher Shoppe in Pensacola Fl is where most of the FBA guys get their comp briskets #Alwayshandpicked

Back