Stuffed pork tenderloin

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
George
Inspired by blazinfire's post the other day I had to try this myself. I don't remember the last time I bought pork tenderloin (I assume its "loin") because I always considered it dry and somewhat tasteless. I forgot that they come two to the pack and thought I was buying one big piece of meat. Unpacking the two pieces I decided to open both, stuffing between, sandwich them and tie them into a round. Looks like it went as well as if it was rolled and it turned out much to our liking. 4 hours of hickory smoke to about 170 interior (not the stuffing, the meat) and rested for an hour or so. I do note that I should have bought more bacon and thick sliced for a better wrap.

Attachments

• loin.jpg
    loin.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 104
  • loin 1.jpg
    loin 1.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 105
  • loin 2.jpg
    loin 2.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 106
  • loin 3.jpg
    loin 3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 105
  • loin 4.jpg
    loin 4.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 106
Looks great! I think one of your issues with having the loin meat being dry and tough is with overcooking. That meat only needs to hit 145 at most to be safe per USDA standards. I personally like to pull them around 135 and let the carryover get it into the 140s

Looks great! I think one of your issues with having the loin meat being dry and tough is with overcooking. That meat only needs to hit 145 at most to be safe per USDA standards. I personally like to pull them around 135 and let the carryover get it into the 140s
I've never liked pork "moist" and always rely on onions, peppers etc. to provide the sauce for a well done pan fried chop. I guess its because my parents liked to roast a tenderloin (beef) for about three hours. That's not me anymore I do like my steak medium but pork I still need to do get the "moist" out of before I think its done. The stuffing and bacon wrap did a good job on making this one a joy to eat.

Looks great! What was the stuffing?

That feels like a really long time with hickory smoke rolling over. Was it too smokey?

That looks awesome.

I think pork loin and pork tenderloin often get conflated, and they are very different muscles IMHO.

https://www.chowhound.com/food-news...erence-between-pork-tenderloin-and-pork-loin/
Thanks for the link. I suspected but did not know that there might be a difference. So the loin is the back strap and the tenderloin is what it is on all animals of the nature we speak. This was a tenderloin(s) and I considered it not sufficiently large to lay open like the loin, a bigger cut of meat. That's why I sandwiched the two.

Looks great! What was the stuffing?

That feels like a really long time with hickory smoke rolling over. Was it too smokey?
The smoke is, actually, quite subtle and not overwhelming at all. Of course, the meat was covered with fat (bacon) and I guess that kept it from being overwhelmed.
I stuffed it with mushrooms, one small chopped onion, two cloves of garlic (pressed), some chopped parsley, some stove top dressing seasoned inside with complete seasoning pepper and sea salt to taste. I used my usual pork dry rub for the exterior.
P.S. I smoke with firebox gate and smoke stack wide open all the time and have a pc fan blowing on the box opening to induce cleaner burn. That may have something to do with the smoke not being to strong.

Nice job!! I bet the tenderloin was a bit better than using a pork loin.. Pork loin was a pain to butterfly.. As far as your bacon is concerned.. Don't go with thick bacon.. you might think the reg/thin cut bacon would be a pain but its the best for making bacon weave or wrapping.. Thicker the bacon the harder it is to wrap.

We ate all of our pork loin.. I am amazed how well the 3 ingredients work together (stuffing, pork, bacon).

Back