MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #9076
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbqrken View Post
Has anyone got any pictures of a baffle they made for your UDS? Was thinking of trying one. Trying to figure out how to make and how to put it in the cooker.
I don't have my picture handy, but let me see if I can explain my version which works great.

I use a cooking grate and attach to it pieces of angle iron (or aluminum).
(https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...&bih=965&ion=1)

I used the pieces that are about 1.5 inch wide measured from the corner on each side. If you lay it down in the shape of the "A" it would measure almost 3 inches wide. I used about 4 feet and cut it into 4 pieces to place on the grate.. the 2 middle pieces of course are longer than the 2 on next to them. The lengths I made to go as long as possible to not go past the diameter of the grate. The larger size is good for this; fewer pieces to use, however you need a serious saw blade to cut this unless you can get your hardware store to cut it. Grab a grate to try to imagine how to lay them down to determine how much you need.

Then I placed the pieces almost next to each other, leaving a little bit of space between. What this does is make most of the heat come up along the sides of the barrel rather than straight up. And because of the "A" shape and slight spacing between, it allows the meaty goodness drip into the fire which is very important in a UDS. Finally, using iron makes it retain the heat and helps make a nice even overall cook. Aluminum will work fine too, just won't retain the heat as long but not sure how much that matters.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 12:40 PM   #9077
sjm845
Got Wood.

Default What to do with UDS Spare Parts??

Drum heads...my wife got me the Planet Barbecue book for Christmas. I did a quick scan and found my next project. Only problem is that I will have to officially change my name to the Schwenkermeister!! I've got enough spare parts lying around to fab up a German Schwenker Grill to go along with my UDS. I'm going to do it right by adding the airfoils below the grate to get constant rotation from my fire pit in the backyard. I've included a pic below of what a basic one looks like. Seems like the perfect portable grill/smoker.
250px-Schwenkgrill_neu.jpg
SLOATSBURG, NY
[URL="http://tellyouwhatbbq.com"]TELLYOUWHATBBQ.COM[/URL]
[URL="http://facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]facebook.com/tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
Twitter: [URL="http://twitter.com/tellyouwhatbbq"]@tellyouwhatbbq[/URL]
RUB IT...SMOKE IT...PULL IT!

Last edited by sjm845; 12-29-2011 at 12:43 PM.. Reason: Pic error
sjm845 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 06:00 PM   #9078
Sammy_Shuford
is One Chatty Farker

Default Drum out of round.

After all the work, my drum top is a bit out of round. Think I can squeeze it with a clamp the other way to get it to stay round?
[/LEFT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=black][COLOR=magenta]Purple Thermapen:laugh:[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT]
MASTER Judge, SCBA
Carolina Pit Master
[URL]http://patio-q.com/[/URL]
Sammy_Shuford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #9079
vafish
Full Fledged Farker

Well mostly finished my first UDS. Put in some pipe nipples and caps as well as a ball valve on the inlet holes.

Cooked some boneless chicken thighs wrapped in bacon last night for dinner. Worked very well. Only took 1 1/2 to 2 hours had them up to 180 IT. Tender and juicy inside.
Silver UDS with weber lid, UDS #2 black with a weber lid, 1995 Treager pellet grill, 22.5 Weber
vafish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2012, 09:08 PM   #9080
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default Come on now

Dont tell me this thread is played out. LoL

Old 01-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #9081
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Nah it's young yet. Only 9081 posts.

I finally got my first one dialed in and love it. Two more drums in the wings waiting for me to get them done.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2012, 10:56 PM   #9082
phattony
Found some matches.

Default UDS Build- First Smoke!

After a bit of digging around, I had decided that I'd like to build a UDS.
I read up a bit, found a barrel and some parts and put this together.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed to this thread, there really is a WEALTH of knowledge in the 9,000+ posts.

After a quick seasoning and adjustment last night, I figured I'd test my skill with some chicken thighs.

I've already got plans to build a few more. I've got a huge BBQ planned for the end of April.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg UDS.jpg (94.9 KB, 936 views)
File Type: jpg thighs.jpg (135.1 KB, 926 views)
phattony is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2012, 08:39 AM   #9083
Lawdog's Smokewagon
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Nice PRON

Old 01-07-2012, 11:00 AM   #9084
flex
Found some matches.

The 55 gallon smoker has been the best smoker I have ever used. It holds more consistent heat than any other one you could buy on the market. It's also cheaper to build than you could imagine, and you could say you built it on your own. I have an 8 foot smoker I've bought from a Texas company and it sucks. It burns through wood and charcoal like you wouldn't believe. I only seasoned it to make sure the inside wouldn't rust and it would have a coat of oil inside. But it burned through a whole bag of charcoal and 2 big chunks of wood like it was nobody's business. It also cost a fortune to build and have it delivered. Not to mention it arrived with damages. So learn from my mistake and go the right way from the beginning. Build a UDS.

Last edited by flex; 01-07-2012 at 11:57 AM..
flex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #9085
flex
Found some matches.

Default Don't buy a Texas smoker from any company. Save your money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgh1204 View Post
Thom, you think it will be ok after a few more burns?

My wife thinks I am crazy for putting $50 into this. She would not understand ordering a $300 BDS, especially when I am considering buying either a Klose BYC or a Spicewine type smoker next year.

Please don't buy a Klose bbq smoker or any other one from any other company if you are consdering building a UDS. I made the big $3000.00 mistake of buying a texas lone star grill and it arrived with a bent smoke stack, and damages on the back like it had fallen over, with deep scratches every where. The builder and the delivery company have done NOTHING to fix the damages. I am going to have someone come and fix it. And it has been three months since I have had the smoker. So just build your own out of a 55 gallon drum. I've since build 2 after getting my texas smoker and like them better any way. But I have to admit, I haven't used my texas smoker cause I can't until it gets fixed. TOTAL waste of money!!! UDS is the way to go.
flex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #9086
handsareme
Got Wood.

I need to take a couple pics of the UDS itself.

Here's the pork loin I made for New Year's Day. Brined it for awhile, then soaked in regular water. Rubbed with a modified rub I found on the net.

It took pretty much three hours at 225. Took it to 140-145* internal temp and let it rest for an hour prior to slicing.

Sliced it and put it in the fridge overnight. Then I threw them on a hot grill to get some sexy grill marks and kept them warm in a crock pot of sauer kraut. Had rave reviews all afternoon.

Edit: Where are my pictures?

Edit 2: GRRRRR

Edit 3: The FAQ didn't help...I am seriously not this much of an idiot.

Edit 4: Flickr is the idiot.

Last edited by handsareme; 01-07-2012 at 12:07 PM..
handsareme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 12:27 PM   #9087
handsareme
Got Wood.

Behold! My UDS:

For my fire basket, I decided to have the expanded metal go all the way around the grate and have three inches below and 9 inches above. I did this so I can put a grate at the lower bolt level and put the basket on upside down and use the top level as a direct heat grill. I had a friend weld it up for me. My fire basket:

The only problem I've been having with this UDS is water collecting in the bottom during a cook. Anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this? You can see some rust on the bottom. I am also trying to figure out how a better way to put the thermometer in there. Right now it's just going through a hole and held in with a washer and lock washer so I can't easily pull it in and out. The inside:

handsareme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 08:00 PM   #9088
brickie
Full Fledged Farker

If you search in the uds thread theres a pic of the part to buy that will allow you to slide the thermometer in and out.I thought I had it in my favorites...

brickie
brickie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #9089
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsareme View Post
The only problem I've been having with this UDS is water collecting in the bottom during a cook. Anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this? You can see some rust on the bottom.

I had that problem in the beginning when I smoked butts. I raised my temp to 250 and that helped. The higher heat turned the water to steam. If your thermometers are off a little you could be cooking cooler than you thought you were. Making water instead of steam.

I am also trying to figure out how a better way to put the thermometer in there. Right now it's just going through a hole and held in with a washer and lock washer so I can't easily pull it in and out. The inside:
Install a UF watertight conduit nut in the side of mine it has a rubber grommet in the middle so your leads don't get chafed. It can be seen above the shelf. You can get them at Home Depot or Lowes.

[/QUOTE]

Old 01-07-2012, 09:34 PM   #9090
scottjess
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Scottjames84

the 1/2" one will do??? http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 like this?

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker