MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:24 PM   #1
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Default More even temps with the Shirley

First off I am not bashing, or pointing out a flaw,always looking to improve. Anyone use the gate valve between the smoker and the warmer, then open the exhaust valve above the warmer.
What I am thinking is that it will trap in more moisture, and even out temps even better. Maybe, similar to a reverse flow vertical.
Am I making sense?

Old 06-29-2015, 07:29 PM   #2
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI Smoke View Post
Anyone use the gate valve between the smoker and the warmer, then open the exhaust valve above the warmer.
I cook this way in my Shirley warmer for 95% of my cooks. I seldom use the main chamber unless it's a real large cook.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:53 PM   #3
Tango Joe
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Anyone use the gate valve between the smoker and the warmer, then open the exhaust valve above the warmer.
I have cooked this way quite a few times, either with food in the main chamber or just in the warmer.
Still messing with all the potential combinations.

Old 06-29-2015, 07:57 PM   #4
MI Smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGH View Post
I cook this way in my Shirley warmer for 95% of my cooks. I seldom use the main chamber unless it's a real large cook.
Sgh I am talking about cooking oin the main chamber

Old 06-29-2015, 10:18 PM   #5
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

You have uneven temps in your shirley??? Are you opening up every door at startup and then closing them after 20 minutes or so? Butt Burner posted this a while back and it works perfectly for me. Temps on all 4 racks are within 5 degrees. I would think heating the warmer would use more fuel when cooking in the main chamber.

edit: I tried closing all the doors after 10 minutes and my temps were off 15 degrees. It needs at least 20 minutes.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2015, 10:36 PM   #6
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Sgh I am talking about cooking oin the main chamber
I misunderstood the question above. Yes I have drafted out of the vertical when using the main chamber. I really couldn't see any difference as opposed to just using the main chamber exhaust. I can see where it could make a difference on different shape and size pits. Especially if the warmer exhaust was small. My warmer and warmer exhaust are quite large so it has little if any affect on how the pit runs. If it is affecting it, I can't see it.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-29-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
SGH
is One Chatty Farker

Here is my Shirley loaded down with venison. Both the main chamber and the warmer and I'm exhausting out of the warmer. The meat in the main chamber and the warmer cooked at the same rate.

Last edited by SGH; 10-10-2015 at 11:03 PM..
SGH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2015, 10:48 PM   #8
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

If I'm just cooking in the main chamber I leave that door closed. My temps are always even after the smoker settles where it wants to run. I've never had to play with the doors.
TQ 250 deluxe ([COLOR="Red"]gone but not forgotten[/COLOR])
[COLOR="Blue"]"Let me get a Diablo Sandwich and a Dr Pepper. Make it fast I'm in a gosh dang hurry"[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]IMBAS[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]Certified[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]MOINK[/COLOR] [COLOR="red"]Baller[/COLOR]
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2015, 05:52 AM   #9
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Darryl-

what kind of difference are you seeing in temps?

please explain better so that we can help you

I agree with the others, I don't see more than 5-10 degree difference anywhere after the pit has been running a few hours
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2015, 08:17 AM   #10
Hog1990
Full Fledged Farker

I need to try this open door method. So, are you saying that you leave the cabinet doors wide open for 20 minutes as the pit starts? How do you know when you have come up to temp? I see a 25 degree swing from the firebox side to the other when I exhaust out of the main chamber, but when I exhaust out of the warmer it is more even...

Old 06-30-2015, 09:24 AM   #11
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hog1990 View Post
I need to try this open door method. So, are you saying that you leave the cabinet doors wide open for 20 minutes as the pit starts? How do you know when you have come up to temp? I see a 25 degree swing from the firebox side to the other when I exhaust out of the main chamber, but when I exhaust out of the warmer it is more even...
it wont come up to temp with the doors open

just leave everything open and let it breathe and air out for awhile. You don't want the white smoke you get from a just started fire in your pit anyway

just use common sense, there is no magic formula here
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]

Old 06-30-2015, 09:42 AM   #12
AlwaysSmokey
is One Chatty Farker

Hog1990 I think the fellas are trying to tell you to move the dead air.

When you light your firebox, everything should be open,.. main door, Firebox door, etc...

Then as your fire gets to running good you begin to shut doors to begin preheating cooking chambers. After the chambers come to temp. let them run there for awhile, Then,get your meat on. Temps should maintain closer variances and not fluctuate as much.

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-30-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
Thatgrimguy
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

I'm placing my Shirley order in the next 2 weeks. It's like Christmas. Even though I won't get the pit till after Christmas I suppose.
Member of [COLOR="Red"]"THE BLACKSTONE POSSE"[/COLOR]

KCBS CBJ #81419
Thatgrimguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 06-30-2015, 10:08 AM   #14
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ButtBurner View Post
it wont come up to temp with the doors open

just leave everything open and let it breathe and air out for awhile. You don't want the white smoke you get from a just started fire in your pit anyway

just use common sense, there is no magic formula here
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysSmokey View Post
Hog1990 I think the fellas are trying to tell you to move the dead air.

When you light your firebox, everything should be open,.. main door, Firebox door, etc...

Then as your fire gets to running good you begin to shut doors to begin preheating cooking chambers. After the chambers come to temp. let them run there for awhile, Then,get your meat on. Temps should maintain closer variances and not fluctuate as much.
Exactly...with a weed burner you can be at 250-275 in 20-30 minutes. Once you close the doors to the main chamber it heats up quickly and you should see tbs the rest of the cook. I preheat my sticks in the warmer with both dampers closed. No need to spend the extra fuel to heat up the warmer if no meat is in there.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2015, 10:30 AM   #15
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

just a little background on this

at my cabin I have a wood burning stove I use to heat it with in the winter

before I light it, I have to pre heat the flue by burning a few sheets of newspaper to get the flue hot and the draft going up the chimney

if I don't, and just light a fire, sometimes the smoke will back up into the stove and not go anywhere

the same principle applies to my smoker.

I need to preheat the chimney (and the entire pit for that matter) so it set up the draft out the chimney and flows properly

ask Jbounds about that ;)