MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-16-2018, 09:54 PM   #16
mrp116
Knows what a fatty is.

I have found the perfect combination for me is an 18.5" WSM, pellet grill, and a Weber kettle. WSM gets butt duty and sometimes ribs (pellet grill is so easy that now they're usually on there), pellet cooker gets the most work, and the Performer gets steaks and anything that I want a bit of char/sear on (i.e. jerk chicken thighs). Brisket is usually split between the WSM and the pellet grill. It all depends on how easy I want the set up to be which is usually related to how much I have had to drink. If I had to pick between the WSM and pellet grill to be used exclusively for "smoking", I would choose the WSM without hesitation.

Last edited by mrp116; 12-16-2018 at 09:59 PM..
mrp116 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #17
SideSt3p
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Andrew

I have a Kettle and a WSM. Love em both, because they work well and are easy to use! That being said, I'm looking for a pellet cooker just because I think they're neat (I'm a giant nerd) and I want a truly set it and forget it option.

IMO you won't go wrong with both. They're both fun for different reasons :)
SideSt3p is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 06:26 AM   #18
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Poor old UDS doesn't seem to get much love anymore.

So- I'm just gonna say it

Build a UDS.

Old 12-17-2018, 06:50 AM   #19
kynmo2010
On the road to being a farker

My first smoker was an 18.5" WSM. I've had it for over 10 years and it still works great. However, it doesn't get used as much now. I built a UDS 4 years ago and bought a 26" Weber Kettle 3 years ago. These 2 became my go to smoker/grills. The WSM and UDS cook very similarly. Neither require too much attention, but the UDS provides much more space for larger cooks and doesn't really use much more fuel. If I could only have 1, I would choose the 26" Kettle. Very versatile for grilling or smoking. Have had good results using the snake method. I even had a 22" grate that I added carriage bolts to, so it can sit on top of the 26" grate. Nearly double the capacity for smoking smaller items such as wings or country style ribs.
kynmo2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2018, 09:22 AM   #20
qnbiker
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Lew

I get good smoke flavor from my Performer (kettle) and my WSM. Try the snake method and hickory chunks (not chips) in your kettle next time. As for the choice between WSM and pellet pooper, I have both. The pooper is new and I am really enjoying it, but if I had to choose, I would choose the WSM. The combination of gasser, kettle, and WSM has served me well over the years. YMMV.

Old 12-17-2018, 11:55 AM   #21
Piggysquealers
Full Fledged Farker

Get the WSM. I had the 22 also at one point but it didn't run as good as the 18.5. If you want to make it even easier later you can add a guru. It seems like it's not if it's when you will have an issue with a pellet cooker

Old 12-17-2018, 05:35 PM   #22
Smokie185
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyDick View Post
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between these things.

Pellet grills having moving parts and being powered always makes me worried; A WSM should last virtually forever.

What do you think? I have a cheap offset and a 22in kettle. Offset is a pita to deal with and i'm having issues with smoke flavor/space with the kettle.

I'm thinking the WSM may be the way to go, any DC/Pitboss classic/700fb and WSM owners want to chime in with any issues they had?

Thanks for any info!
I have a WSM, a kettle and I recently bought a GMG DC while they were on sale. My first cook on the DC was a rib eye roast that turned out very well. Everyone loved the bark and all I did was rub it down with Q-Salt the night before. Since then I have done a fatty and some chicken with good results. Each time I used Lumberjack pellets.

I really like the DC for the convenience and performance. I plan on using it quite a bit for small quick cooks. For larger cooks, I will use one of the other cookers.

One thing I have noticed is that the DC seems to have a little trouble with cold temps. A blanket over the top would probably take care of that.

As you probably know, the DC is WiFi enabled and to tell the truth it is really handy to be able to monitor pit temp and food temp on my tablet.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-18-2018, 08:45 AM   #23
Whitewookie
is one Smokin' Farker

I’ve got a WSM 18.5 and a Performer. Between these two I cans do just about anything I need, but keep in mind I rarely cook for more that 6-8 people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Old 12-18-2018, 09:06 AM   #24
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

I first started smoking on a 18" WSM and did put out some good food on it but I felt it was limited on size and towards the end of my use of it, I was having temp control issues and not sure why. I got a PBC after that and like it hands down better than the WSM. I no longer have a WSM and still have the PBC.

I don't have a pellet grill so I can't help you there but the concerns you have about them is one of the reasons I don't own one and am not interested in one at this time.

Good luck on whatever you decide.

Old 12-18-2018, 09:16 AM   #25
bgross88
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : B

I have 3 webers; 22 kettle, gasser, 22.5. I can pretty much do anything I want with them. Granted, I'm not cooking comps, but they crank out some great food. I love the 22.5....I can do--at least--4 Butts, multiple racks etc,--at one time.

Personally, I've never had temp issues with it. Mine loves to settle in around 250-260 and I let it ride. Been through several overnight cooks.

Old 12-18-2018, 10:58 AM   #26
SmokyDick
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokie185 View Post
I have a WSM, a kettle and I recently bought a GMG DC while they were on sale. My first cook on the DC was a rib eye roast that turned out very well. Everyone loved the bark and all I did was rub it down with Q-Salt the night before. Since then I have done a fatty and some chicken with good results. Each time I used Lumberjack pellets.

I really like the DC for the convenience and performance. I plan on using it quite a bit for small quick cooks. For larger cooks, I will use one of the other cookers.

One thing I have noticed is that the DC seems to have a little trouble with cold temps. A blanket over the top would probably take care of that.

As you probably know, the DC is WiFi enabled and to tell the truth it is really handy to be able to monitor pit temp and food temp on my tablet.

I'd love the convenience of a pellet grill, but the second I need it and it doesn't fire up due to some hardware fault - that all goes out the window.

If I can get the flavor I want out of my 22in kettle, maybe i'll look at the 26 just for space and versatility.
SmokyDick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #27
G'Daddy
Full Fledged Farker

Just like what was mentioned in an earlier post, place more chunks/chips at the beginning and middle of the cook to get a deeper smokey flavor.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #28
Smoking Cajun
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Brent

Don't let them talk you out of a pellet smoker...I really like cooking with pellets!