Chipmunks Apparently Living/Visiting in my Wood Pile

chet8888

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I've got a ton of hickory and oak seasoning in my rack out in the back yard. Went to go check on it- -tons of "evidence" of chipmunks hanging out in the pile. Is that wood still good to use for cooking? And how do you all keep critters out of your wood, if not still ok to use.

Thanks

Shouldn't hurt a thing. They don't eat wood, they might be storing seeds and nuts in there. Anything else, fire will take care of.

Ok, thanks. Just a little gross to think about as I shake tons of pellets off each time I grab a stick. So far, I've used only as firewood (for heat), but I'd like to chop them up into chunks for smoking in my KJ.

I have a buddy who was having this same problem and he was prescribed a .22 caliber remedy that worked out nicely for him.

.177 or .22 pills will work wonders and provide hours of entertainment - especially if there an 11-12 yr old boy around to enlist. Air powered works great and won't bother the neighbors.

You need a cat. My cats are always bringing them home to show me. One eats them, the other two just like to bat them around.

If one gets within 100 feet of the house they are toast. Plus having a 25 cal pellet gun just adds to the fun. :-D

I would just smack the wood together and smoke on brother . :grin:

I tossed a box of mesquite scraps/chunks that had a big mouse nest and that smell...couldn’t bring myself to cook with it.

Back