Kingsford Charcoal question

smokeisgood

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So while I'm waiting on my new Gravity fed smoker, I'm trying to study up on things to keep myself occupied, since I've always used stick burners. So when using a GF smoker, or any smoker for that matter, do the briquettes mixed with wood in them, like the Kingsford Hickory, Apple, etc. really do anything special more than regular briquettes as far as flavor? I figure you still have to use wood chunks, but wondered if this was a gimmick or they really put off more smoke flavor.

In my opinion (and experience) the briqs with "wood" flavors are a gimmick. Just a selling point to boost the price. No thanks.

I used a couple bags of Kingsford Hardwood in a kettle with SnS and when you add wood chunks I think that makes the little wood bits pointless, the wood chunks are the primary flavorant. With the high cost I moved onto RO or Embers briqs. Someone on YouTube (I forget who) claimed the little wood bits were only on the outside but I never looked to verify.

I agree, if you are using wood chunks (the real thing) why spend the extra for wood bits in charcoal

I have bought a couple bags when on sale/same price, little offbrand ones for kettle grilling. They ARE a little bit noticeably different, IMO, mesquite seemed the most.

They always burn worse than kingsford original, and a little hotter. Not nearly to the point of lump but it they were noticeably crumbly.

I’ll occasionally buy a bag when they are on clearance and use them when I grill on my kettle . There’s definitely a more pronounced smoke flavor, especially if you close the lid. I don’t use wood chunks when I grill though. I honestly am not sure if they would make a huge difference in a charcoal smoker. And I’m still waiting on my IVS to finish fabrication so I. Any do a test run for you.

I bought a bag of Kingsford Hickory last summer out of curiosity. I cooked a brisket on my Bronco smoker with just the charcoal and no wood chunks. The brisket had a light smoke taste but not near what I get with wood chunks. It still had more smoke than I was ever able to get on a pellet cooker.

I just use wood chunks. Cut down a few maple trees and sliced a few 2" think rounds to make them. I have two garbage cans full now that will last awhile.

In my gravity fed, I just use regular charcoal. Royal Oak red bag or Kingsford blue bag. I don't mix smoke wood in with the charcoal. For smoke wood, I've kind of graduated from wood chunks to putting mini-splits in for smoke.

In my gravity fed, I just use regular charcoal. Royal Oak red bag or Kingsford blue bag. I don't mix smoke wood in with the charcoal. For smoke wood, I've kind of graduated from wood chunks to putting mini-splits in for smoke.
Mini splits are my plan, as I have plenty left from my Sniper offset. I was just curious about these briquettes. Seemed like a marketing thing to me.

I like the hickory and don't add any wood chunks when using it for grilling, too $$ for smoking , I prefer shag bark for grilling with reg blue bag . the flavor cant be beat

I used a bag of Kingsford Pecan with high hopes...and it was all for nothing. Go wood chunks save money and disappointment.

I just run Lump in mine. Those briquets make so much ash and are much harder to light. Lump burns hotter and more consistent. You do have to make sure it doesn't bridge but other than that, it is much better. Gets up to temp faster and doesn't dump all that grain like ash in the bottom to put out your wood chunks.

Just me, YMMV

I think this kind of charcoal is for either a beginner or someone who wants a smoked flavor but doesn't want to mess with wood chips or chunks. It's an easy sell to someone who has never used real wood.

Pre Pandemic you could occasionally find the Kingsford wood infused 16# bags (I think) for $4.99.
When they did I would buy 4-5 bags. I think they smelled great and were consistent fuel.
I enjoy them at sale prices but never enters my mind to pay full retail. I think it’s Lowes has them on sale but you have to view the sale price in the cart, my interest rapidly decelerates when that occurs.

Have run my Assassin 24 gravity feed now for 6 years now with just Kingsford basic as fuel - no wood in the chute. It burns super clean.

I add a good load of smoke wood chucks to the ash pan in the fire box for a cook and rattle the fire grate to get them going.

No problem getting the smoke.

Last edited:
Always used lump in my GC28. Occasionally threw chunks in the chute with the charcoal if I wanted a stronger smoke profile. Used the mini logs from academy in the wood box.

Lump provides a better taste than briqs, my opinion of course.

Back