• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Brisket advice

WhiskyJoe

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I tried brisket again the other day. Got a 18lb prime from Costco. I trimmed it the night before and injected with a beef broth/worcestershire mix. I dropped it on the RecTec at 240. When the thickest part of the flat read 195, I pulled it off, separated the point and dropped the point and flat back on the smoker until 'done'. After about 20 mins, the edges of the flat were probe tender but the center wasn't. When the center was, I pulled it and rested it in a cooler until dinner.

The point made awesome burnt ends. My cardiologist is gonna kill me. The point, however was really dry. :( How do you get the center of the flat to be probe tender and NOT have it suck? Not sure what i should have done differently.

Do you mean the flat was really dry? You say you pulled it when probe tender, but it's possible it wasn't "just right" yet. Was it dry and tough, or dry and crumbly falling apart? Falling apart you overcooked it, still a little tough then undercooked. Usually a slightly overcooked brisket will be better than a slightly undercooked.

Last edited:
Others with more experience than I will surely chime in. In my experience, it sounds as though the flat was not yet really probe tender or fully rendered. This will result in a dry brisket. It's certainly possible to overcook a brisket to the degree that the flat actually dries out, however in your case, it doesn't sound at all like you did that. It just sounds like you pulled the brisket a little too soon.

damn. maybe it was underdone. Was worried about overcooking it so maybe I was a little too quick to yank it off. Thanks!

Yeah ive noticed its tempting to just go ahead and say it's "probe tender" if the sides are and the center of the flat kinda is...but you really just gotta wait until that probe slides in like butter

Keep in mind ive only smoked about 8 briskets so I have limited experience, but have made that error out of impatience a few times.

Curiously, last night's brisket was still tough as nails at 203f. Then at 205, 207 and 208. It only probed tender at 211f (!!!) by that time I had stopped caring about temps for 7 degrees. It took that much time to get that last strip on the flat tender—you know which one I'm talking about, that one little unyielding strip.
Until the probe goes through that piece with no effort, it ain't done. No matter what the thermapen says

Curiously, last night's brisket was still tough as nails at 203f. Then at 205, 207 and 208. It only probed tender at 211f (!!!) by that time I had stopped caring about temps for 7 degrees. It took that much time to get that last strip on the flat tender—you know which one I'm talking about, that one little unyielding strip.
Until the probe goes through that piece with no effort, it ain't done. No matter what the thermapen says

I've had to take them to 212 numerous times.... I've pretty much stopped checking until around 205 or so...

Bludawg hasn't been here in a while but his method is a great way to cook brisket.

BluDawgs Brisket

K.I S.S. some of the best brisket you will ever eat! Total cook time including the rest 8 hrs or less. I promise it will be as moist as mornin dew on the lilly, tender as a mothers love, pure beefy smoky goodness.

1 packer 12-15 lb
Trim off the hard fat on each side of the flat thin the fat cap to 1/4"

Mix your Rub
1 part kosher salt 4 parts Med grind Black peppa by volume( this is a true 50/50 BY weight)
apply a coat of rub you need to be able to see the meat through the rub clearly.

Pre heat the pit to 300 deg
place brisket on the pit Fat Cap Down and point to the firebox unless it is a RF cooker then point to away from FB

Maintain pit between 275-325 if cookin on a stick burner
cook Brisket 4 hrs
remove from pit wrap in a single layer of Butcher paper Return to pit Fat cap up.
after 1 hr probe the thicket part of the Flat only! If it isn't *probe tender it should be within 1 hr.
once it is probe tender remove from the pit keep it wrapped in the paper you cooked it in and allow it to rest on your counter until the Internal temp reaches 150 this will take about two hrs.
Don't ever slice more than you can eat big pieces retain moisture and won't dry up on you like slices will.
*PROBE TENDER>This is the feel that is mimicked by cutting room temperature butter with a hot knife, there should be no drag

Here's the thread I copied it from. It's a real good read. http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213367"

When I do briskets Hot & Fast I notice that they don't probe tender until 210 or more.
Low & Slow usually probes tender around 203 - 205.

I think Danta is probably correct. Can't say for sure without touching the brisket myself. The whole game of brisket is knowing when to take it off and that is developed by trial and error.

One other point...I leave the flat and the point connected until the flat probes tender...then separate and do what ever you want to make the B/E's. I don't like sauced B/E's...so I generously rub the point with a rib type rub and smoke another hour or so...remove and cube.

I've never injected a brisket. I've never separated the point and flat. I've always cooked at 275. I've never had these issues, although I've had flats that were a bit drier than I would like.

I watched this episode of Cook's Country this weekend
and picked up a few good pointers on Texas briskets.
Take about 20 minutes and watch the whole thing.
He makes sense and explains why he does certain things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azwKFQKAqxs

the thing i find interesting in this video is he has the temp probe in the point.

:noidea:

makes me want to buy a brisket and do a test.

Back