Weber Kettle 22"

Good looking bones off the new piece of kit.

Mine's still going strong after a busy 5 years of usage.

22" kettles are great, but you will never know what you were missing until you try a 26". I have not used a 22" since I got my first 26". I never used either of my Ranch kettles because I never had an application to grill that much meat or to use it as a smoker, but sometimes I think a 30" kettle would be nice for just a little extra space.

Anybody else think a 30" would be useful?

Thanks,

Robert

It's a classic for sure! I never used one until about 5 or 6 years ago, myself.

I've been cooking on Weber Kettles since about 2007. I used to have a bunch of them but now just have two, a Performer and a NIB Mastertouch.

I only use my Kettle to cook wings using the vortex. All other things I cook on other cookers.

I agree, the 22 is probably one of the best cookers available.
It's not always big enough. I personally can't justify the price of a 26 or Ranch kettle, but for just over $100, I've built a collection of 4 22"ers via Craigslist.

I've still got Dad's early 1960s in the rotation as well.

I have a 1998 Mastertouch that I cook on at least 3 times a week. It is as strong as ever. I have cooked everything from cold smoked cheese to packer brisket. There are a lot of good cookers out there but in recent years I think kettles have become less popular. Most likely due to the pellet grill market explosion. What I like about the kettle is consistent fire management. I also love the ability to switch from direct to indirect grilling or a combination. I also have a homemade extension which allows me to turn my kettle into a 22 inch WSM with two cooking levels. About the only thing not in the rotation is whole hog. I can grill or smoke or bake about anything else. It’s economical, durable, and portable. It always hits above its weight class.

I agree, the 22 is probably one of the best cookers available.
It's not always big enough. I personally can't justify the price of a 26 or Ranch kettle, but for just over $100, I've built a collection of 4 22"ers via Craigslist.

I've still got Dad's early 1960s in the rotation as well.

All of my 26" purchases have been Craigslist finds. Prices vary from $35-200. Patience, persistence and luck. Bought one in Iowa and had a friend pick it up and brought it to me at a cook-off in Louisiana. Another came from Chicago and a relay of friends commenced and picked up in Kansas City. St. Louis, same, same picked up in Tulsa. Found another in Kansas City and another friend secured it and I picked up on another trip to KC. And luckily have found three locally. Not all have stayed with me as I have bought for friends as well.

Weberitis. It's real.

I also love that you can hot rod them to your heart's content. There is no end to the amount of after market accessories, grates, baskets, rotisseries, you name it. In this way it is the Chevy small block of bbq grills. Not only is it easy to find factory parts for, but just about every part on there has an aftermarket option as well. And so many ways to expand on its already impressive versatility.

Sure the base grill is about as ubiquitous as it gets but you can absolutely make it your own.

Back