MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Brethren Road Trips

Notices

Brethren Road Trips The travel logs of our members. Q- joints, restaurants, entertainment, reviews while we travel around the 50 states. Also, Post here for a shout out to members to meet up with while on the road.

Old 02-27-2021, 07:10 PM   #1
Kazion
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Talking Once in a Lifetime Roadtrip - Need Advice

The backstory, as brief as I can make it:
My wife and I are liquidating our 25+ years of living in Florida, and relocating/retiring to Alaska.

Yes, you read that correctly. I'll give you a moment to collect yourselves from laughing...

....better?

So, our route takes us from Florida to Washington to catch the Alaska Marine Highway ferry that takes us into south-central AK, a couple hours from our new home outside Wasilla.

The problem and request:
We are looking for any place to get some world class food, BBQ in particular, but we are open to most anything. I'm partial to sliced pork, and the wife is looking for the worlds best collards. I prefer dry rub, allowing the meat to do its own talking.

We have a couple days to play with, planned that way due to the unknowns of Covid and transcontinental travel....and to give us some time freedom to get in some tasty food stops.

Our planned route takes us to Atlanta- Memphis - Kansas City - Omaha - Deadwood - Bozeman - Spokane - Seattle, with overnight stops in or near each.

Anything worth the slightly longer route taking us thru Chattanooga and Nashville or should we hit something in Birmingham instead?

The next day, we head to Kansas City on our way to Omaha.
Should we hit something in St. Louis, or take the slightly shorter path thru Springfield?

Anyhow, any suggestion would be appreciated. This is a wonderful country, full of wonderful things that we'd like to see and experience before we leave "civilization".
Gonna be an adventure!

Thanks for all you folks do here, its improved my personal life, I can now cook a rack of ribs thats damned near edible, and I cannot see a steel barrel and not think, "UDS!", so thanks for that ;)

Peace,
db
"Kazion"

Old 02-27-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I’m honestly dumbfounded a bit...in for the answers and good luck my man!

(Ps I’m all about Alaska, but just on a temporary basis:))

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 02-27-2021, 07:33 PM   #3
vicdog
Knows what a fatty is.

Wow! Sounds like quite an adventure. How long is that ferry ride?
vicdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
Kazion

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdog View Post
Wow! Sounds like quite an adventure. How long is that ferry ride?
5 days. It is a state-run ferry systems that is roughly a no-tip, limited frills, Alaskan cruise.

Allows us to haul most anything we want with us, avoiding the border crossing into/out of Canada...who doesn't appreciate my gun and ammo collection. Far more firearms restrictions that I would have thought....

db
Old 02-27-2021, 08:49 PM   #5
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Wow, this is really cool! There are so many places. If your wife wants sides (collards), then I definitely recommend hitting the Carolinas. I am blown away by the sides in this region. I can give recommendations for lots of areas, but would have to narrow it down 'cause you're talking half the country(!) If you're looking at a fairly direct route, I would absolutely get to Decatur for Big Bob Gibson's and there is a thread here about some places in Tennessee:
https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=286727
If you want to sidetrack to the right, we can give recommendations in Carolinas right in this subforum, just expand the date range to a year and there are many threads. I'm guessing Texas is too far out of your way. Personally, if it were up to me, I'd expand my trip a couple of weeks and make a grand tour. There are so many beautiful places to see in the lower 48 and this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity where you can take a bit of time and see a few things. I remember when I was young, my grandparents used to tell me that they moved from Minnesota to Florida and they drove by way of NYC. I was going through a box of their things a few months back and found a pristine 70-year-old program from a Yankees game that they saved and I know it was from that trip. They never mentioned that to me, but I almost felt like I was on that trip with them when I saw it.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #6
Kazion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Wow, this is really cool! There are so many places. If your wife wants sides (collards), then I definitely recommend hitting the Carolinas. ........I'm guessing Texas is too far out of your way. Personally, if it were up to me, I'd expand my trip a couple of weeks and make a grand tour. There are so many beautiful places to see in the lower 48 and this is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity where you can take a bit of time and see a few things.

<Paraprhrased>

I wish we had the extra time...a few hours we can stretch, not a few days....

Carolinas and Texas are no-go's :(
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #7
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Since you're going thru Memphis I assume you will be on I-40 for some time.

I'll recommend my usual joints.

Craig's BBQ in DeValls Bluff AR. Take the Biscoe exit, go South to Hwy 70, head West and it will be on your left. Then head West again to Hazen and get back on I-40. They have sliced pork sammies for you. Unique sauce.

In North Little Rock there is Lindsay's Hospitality House. It has a website with menu and location. While not collards they do offer mixed greens for the wife. Their sauce is singular to the area too.

There are several Whole Hog Cafes in Arkansas. They have a website too with locations and menus. Six+ sauces to choose from.

Finally, as far as BBQ, there is Sims BBQ. There's two locations in Little Rock. They, too, have a website for locations and menu. They also offer greens for the wife. They are a white bread and mustard sauce joint. The odd thing is, at least the Broadway location, did not have bark in their chopped pork when I last ate there.

If you're still on 40 at Russellville there are couple of good burger joints there.

The old standby is Feltner's Whatta Burger and the new joint is C-J's Butcher Boy Burgers. I think C-J's has better burgers but I can't stand their limp hand cut fries. C-J's has a website and Feltner's a Facebook page. C-J's is to the North of 40 on Hwy 7 and Feltner's is to the South, also on 7.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components

Last edited by 1MoreFord; 02-28-2021 at 07:22 PM..
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
kurtsara
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you

I'd take Alaska before Florida any day.
kurtsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:10 PM   #9
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

OK, definitely do Big Bob Gibson's in Decatur then. I've been several times now and it is always great. Last time I discovered the baked beans. Theirs were the best I've had. You also won't get a chance to see as many BBQ trophies altogether in one spot:

There's more around the corner on the left if you can believe it. Just order one of everything and you won't be disappointed:

Memphis has always been a bit of a crapshoot for me. I've enjoyed Cozy Corner and it is plenty busy. I've heard many rave about their Cornish hens, but to us they were rather meh and I'd skip those. The sauce was interesting on their Q though -- it's really a weak recommendation, but some of the better Q I've had in Memphis. Despite its reputation, the BBQ is not that great, at least that I've had. The first time I went to Rendezvous, I had very nearly the worst ribs I've ever had in my life. Most people will say similar. We went back last October primarily because it is a fun place to go and I had some of the best ribs I've had. I would gladly go back and give them another shot. I have no idea if it is a hit-and-miss sort of thing or if they got a new (good) chef. It's a fun place regardless of the food. In any case, both times were memorable, once for very poor food and once for very good food. I'd rather have memorable than meh. Most of the other BBQ I've had in Memphis has been rather meh.

Incidentally, stayed in the Residence Inn downtown in Memphis last time and it was a great place to stay. It's easy to get on and off the highway from there and you can walk to Beale Street for some Blues. Had an absolutely lovely room also.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:17 AM   #10
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

You're going to need a new website!
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #11
Jrogers84
is One Chatty Farker

If you make it to Nashville go to peg leg porkers. Order the wings, dry rubbed and tossed in hot sauce. Literally the best piece of chicken ive ever eaten.
Jrogers84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-01-2021, 11:14 PM   #12
1MoreFord
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

OP, if you stay overnite in Memphis consider the Peabody hotel too so you can see the ducks walk to their fountain.

Falcon MK V gaseous grill w/Grill Grates, OK Joe Longhorn w/ vertical - now gone, Char Griller Akorn, Camp Chef PG24SG, Weber 22" OTG w/SNS components
1MoreFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-03-2021, 07:49 PM   #13
Kazion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MoreFord View Post
Since you're going thru Memphis I assume you will be on I-40 for some time.
Actually, I only cross I-40 when passing thru Memphis...but these are the kinda suggestions I'm hoping for...I'll see if any of your suggestions are within range of a side trip.

Many thanks!!!
Old 03-03-2021, 07:50 PM   #14
Kazion

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelingJ View Post
You're going to need a new website!
Way ahead of you...FL2AK.com .....for now :P
Updating sig now, tyvm!

Tags
road trip, Travel