Turkey dry brine question

Junksie

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I picked up a couple birds a few months back, and I just realized they are pre brined with a 9.5% solution. Can I still dry brine before smoking or will that kill them? I plan on spatchcocking and throwing on the camp chef woodwind.

may come out saltier than you want, I never brine injected birds my self.

They already have all the salt and benefits of brining, so why would you do it again?

They already have all the salt and benefits of brining, so why would you do it again?
Hence the reason I am asking. I am following a recipe which calls for dry brining and placing in the fridge for a day or 2 before smoking.
Should I just stick it in the fridge with no salt on it?

I did go to the store this morning just to check, 4 different types of turkey on sale... all of which are pre brined.

Hence the reason I am asking. I am following a recipe which calls for dry brining and placing in the fridge for a day or 2 before smoking.
Should I just stick it in the fridge with no salt on it?

I did go to the store this morning just to check, 4 different types of turkey on sale... all of which are pre brined.

You could put it in the fridge unwrapped to dry the skin, but the ultimate question is what are you trying to do? If the dry brine and 2 days was to salt the meat and give it time to reach equilibrium, that was achieved months ago, skip and start the cook.

Back