cooking corn method

mbshop

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
on another non cooking site i got into a discussion about cooking corn. a few jumped in and said cooking it in a microwave is the best for keeping the good stuff in plus it tastes the best this way. i kinda tried to get out of that but i got taken to task about me doing it on a grill. 'am i missing something ?

Im not really sure what your question is here, but I actually smoke my corn at 225, I think its great

try this way next time you might like it shuck corn butter if on the heavy side get some foil and put a ice cube in next to the corn wrap in foil kinda tight put the corn on your smoker smoke your food take corn off when everthing else is done it comes out very juicy and tender and buttered so far never burned

I love corn on the grill! I think the direct heat does something to the sugars in the corn, because it seems to bring out the sweetness that you can't get by boiling. We do ours as follows:

Shucks pulled back, silks removed, slathered in chili lime butter, shucks pulled back up.

Wrap each ear in foil. Cook for 20 minutes direct heat over a 350-375f fire, rotating a quarter turn every 5 minutes.

Take foil off and continue cooking another 10 minutes, rotating every few minutes.

The only way I cook corn on the cob is on the grill now. I use slightly softened butter and totally smear the shucked and sliked corn. Making sure to completely cover the ear and get the butter down in between the kernels. Salt and pepper and placed on the grill at 350-400 degrees. Every minute or two I rotate the ear about a quarter turn. When there is a little brown char all the way around it the corn is ready. No loss of sugars at all and if there is a bit of wood chunks in my lump from a previous cook then there is a slight smoky flavor.
No more boiling away the sweetness for me and the microwave, well I just will not even go there.

Save the microwave for what it is good for, frozen store bought meals and warming up left over BBQ and/or other home made food and making popcorn.

I just water soak the corn in the shucks for 1 hr or more and then either grill or smoke it on the grill, it is great, no need for butter, salt or pepper. Smoking gives it a deeper smoke flavor where as grilling is faster with little or no smoke flavor.

I normally grill my corn. Take whole ear with nothing removed or added and soak in a pitcher of water atleast 30 min. Throw on the grill turning every 10 or 15 min. for 30 to 45 min. Shuck and enjoy. Don't even need butter.

I've tried this smoked corn recipe as it had several good reviews

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/BBQ-Corn/Detail.aspx

Basically put corn in a cooler and dump in a bag of ice and pour in a beer and let it sit overnight before smoking an hour or 2. It was pretty good.

they said corn is best done with a microwave. i do mine on my weber kettle. they said i was wrong.

THEY never tasted corn grilled. I soak 30 minutes at least before hitting the grill microwave my

There are also a lot of people who believe barbecue is something they do on Saturday nights with their gasser and a couple of steaks. Now if you add wood chips it bumps you up to the next level as a 'poser,' that's what we called em in the old days. I generally chuckle a bit as I hear them impose their cooking rules on me and then wow them when it comes to the company pot luck. Smoked corn with a strip of bacon wrapped at a 45 degree angle is hard to beat with the shucks removed and rewrapped in the husks with salt and butter added. I know it's the dang best I've had and I don't really think it can be topped.

Actually, from what I recall of nutrition class, the microwave zaps the nutrients from food. Boiling would be next-everything goes into the liquid. I've have always said if you're cooking with a microwave you're only eating nouns.

For me it has to be fire roasted corn in the husk.

ABQ, the last nutrition class I took, we were told that the microwave was the best way to keep nutrients in the vegetables. If the nutrients are zapped from the vegetables there should be something else left in the microwave besides the vegetables.

Back to the topic.
I do microwave corn-on-the-cob. I am too impatient to wait for it to be done on the grill or any other way. 3 minutes for an ear, butter and salt and I am eating.

I am going to try deep frying corn this year. A friend of mine says that it is the best corn she has ever had. By the way, we have microwaved corn, and it comes out delicious.

I feel that the word "microwave" should not be used on the site. eh?!?

You probably won't like my suggestion either but I've never been a fan of grilled or smoked corn.
I steam it for 8 to 10 minutes

The only way I cook corn on the cob is on the grill now. I use slightly softened butter and totally smear the shucked and sliked corn. Making sure to completely cover the ear and get the butter down in between the kernels. Salt and pepper and placed on the grill at 350-400 degrees. Every minute or two I rotate the ear about a quarter turn. When there is a little brown char all the way around it the corn is ready. No loss of sugars at all and if there is a bit of wood chunks in my lump from a previous cook then there is a slight smoky flavor.
No more boiling away the sweetness for me and the microwave, well I just will not even go there.

+1. I char direct and then let it hang out indirect whilst I am cooking steaks, burgers, etc. direct. It is farkin fantastic this way.

they said corn is best done with a microwave. i do mine on my weber kettle. they said i was wrong.

Microwave may be one way to cook things....but I just don't see how it's the BEST way to cook anything. Reheat, yes. As far as flavor goes....never. I just don't see how the micro adds ANY flavor to anything.

I'd say THEY were wrong. Dead wrong.

YUP....this is EXACTLY how I prefer to cook cobs. The slight char on the kernels is NOT a bad thing. SOOOOOOOO good!

I can't say we NEVER boil corn anymore (my wife don't do the chimney starter), but usually only in winter or if we're just plain to impatient, but generally......CORN=GRILL.

Never tried smoking it.....but I plan to as soon as the sweet stuff starts coming off the stalk around here!!!!! LOVE fresh sweet corn.

ABQ, the last nutrition class I took, we were told that the microwave was the best way to keep nutrients in the vegetables.

Well, I would not be surprised to learn we were both right. Nutrition seems to be a volatile subject. One day it seems something is bad for you then the next it's good. I suppose in the long run whatever makes you happy is the right way. If you're happy you leave longer, no?

Back