MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-10-2008, 12:39 PM   #1
cwiese
Knows what a fatty is.

Default beer but chicken

I was wondering what you guys do for beer but chicken my wife said she wanted it tonight so I am looking for different receipes
cwiese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2008, 12:46 PM   #2
garyk1398
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Gary

I am from the Husker state, like you, and I still can't figure out what beer but chicken is! I recommend giving your wife anything she wants! Gotta keep em happy!

Gary, KCBS -CBJ
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=red]Certified Nebraska MOINK Baller, [/COLOR][COLOR=darkred]KCBS - CBJ[/COLOR][/FONT]
Semper Fi, when in doubt empty the magazine :rip:
garyk1398 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2008, 01:09 PM   #3
CB
On the road to being a farker

Default Beer Butt Chicken

pretty simple...get a sizer of your favorite flavor of beer and use your favorite rub to season up a whole roaster or fryer chicken (4 lbs does nicely) and impale the seasoned yard-bird on one of the open cans that you have taste-tested a couple of sips to ensure quality control, uh butt first and legs down. Place the bird/can in your cooker so the bird is vertical and the can is sitting upright. You may need to place a tray under or use scrunched aluminum foil around the can to ensure it doesn't get tipsy. Indirect cook with hood closed at your choice - either a slow cook (200F - 250F) or regular cook (375F) and finish off the rest of the sixer

Monitor the temp with your remote therm and when it gets to about 160F degrees, remove carefully with kitchen towels and invert the bird over a tray that can hold liquid...allowing the remaining hot beer to slosh on thru the cavity. Place in the tray and cover - you can put the entire tray in the cooker if you want to hold it for a while, as long as the heat is low. You can serve chicken safely when the internal temp is 165F.

Let it rest whilst you head to the store for another sixer and enjoy when you get home. Oh yeah - serve the chicken too!
Silver & H2O Smokers
Double Chef Smoker
CB940X Charcoal Grill
The Big Easy Oil-less Turkey Fryer
Big Easy Smoker-Roaster-Grill
Outdoor Stove-Top & Smoker
Rambler on-the-go! grill

Last edited by CB; 08-10-2008 at 01:12 PM.. Reason: spelling & wording
CB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2008, 01:16 PM   #4
cwiese
Knows what a fatty is.

Default beer but chicken

Thanks I will do it that way and let you know

It also sounds like that other guy knows my wife.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:29 PM   #5
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB View Post
pretty simple...get a sizer of your favorite flavor of beer and use your favorite rub to season up a whole roaster or fryer chicken (4 lbs does nicely) and impale the seasoned yard-bird on one of the open cans that you have taste-tested a couple of sips to ensure quality control, uh butt first and legs down. Place the bird/can in your cooker so the bird is vertical and the can is sitting upright. You may need to place a tray under or use scrunched aluminum foil around the can to ensure it doesn't get tipsy. Indirect cook with hood closed at your choice - either a slow cook (200F - 250F) or regular cook (375F) and finish off the rest of the sixer

Monitor the temp with your remote therm and when it gets to about 160F degrees, remove carefully with kitchen towels and invert the bird over a tray that can hold liquid...allowing the remaining hot beer to slosh on thru the cavity. Place in the tray and cover - you can put the entire tray in the cooker if you want to hold it for a while, as long as the heat is low. You can serve chicken safely when the internal temp is 165F.

Let it rest whilst you head to the store for another sixer and enjoy when you get home. Oh yeah - serve the chicken too!
Hmmm...that recipe sounds a lot like the one I'm doing this afternoon. Not sure what a "sizer" is...I'm gonna use a beer can!
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
tjus77
is One Chatty Farker

just don't use fosters beer. it is too strong!
Variety of Cast Iron DO's
Weber Genius Gas Grill, Weber Kettle

Cajuns make better lovers cause we'll eat ANYTHING.
tjus77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2008, 01:45 PM   #7
Rightstuff
is one Smokin' Farker

I used Food Networks recipe from Guy Fieri (Diners, Drive-ins and Dives). Had family over and they devoured all three birds. The recipe is awesome. I also purchased these:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg GourmetKit_thumb.jpg (6.7 KB, 103 views)
Rightstuff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2008, 02:05 PM   #8
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

Default I use Foster's, but not for yard-bird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjus77 View Post
just don't use fosters beer. it is too strong!
I have used the large cans of Foster's when I smoke a small turkey. It always turns out great.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2008, 02:22 PM   #9
TN_BBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I prefer spatchcocked chicken over beer can chicken. It takes me about 75 minutes to cook a whole bird.

I brine then air dry the skin. Virtually eliminates the leather chicken skin problem.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:51 PM   #10
BobF
Take a breath!

I might have to try the brined spatchcocked chicken. Someone tell me exactly what that means. I have an idea, but I want to hear from the experts.

Old 08-10-2008, 09:19 PM   #11
jestridge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_BBQ View Post
I prefer spatchcocked chicken over beer can chicken. It takes me about 75 minutes to cook a whole bird.

I brine then air dry the skin. Virtually eliminates the leather chicken skin problem.
Chicken don't get any better than spatchcock
also fast
jestridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2008, 08:06 AM   #12
cwiese
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks again everyone the chicken was a success I was reluctant to join this forum but I am so glad I did everyone is great here.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:00 AM   #13
jiarby
Full Fledged Farker

Beer can chix is great to show off but I like the taste/texture of a spatched bird better. More grilling/bbq taste than beer-steamed.
jiarby is offline   Reply With Quote