Splitin' wood

pga7602

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
So what does everyone use to split their splits? I've been using a source for Oak for my santa maria grill. The wood pieces come 18" inches and are very thick (average fireplace wood size). My santa maria grill handles this very well. With my new Lang 36" coming.. I will need cut the length in half, which I can do with my chop saw, but how do are you all splitting the wood for your stick burner? Axe? :shocked: Will need to think of something by Sunday!! woohoo :clap2:

Be careful with a chop saw.

With the uneven diameter of wood against the fence, the blade can grab and pull it in as it cuts. I had that happen with a Dewalt power miter box, also bent the blade enough to make it wobble.

Ok sounds like a splitting maul is the ticket. As you can see I'm a city boy. I've only seen this done in the movies lol

I use this

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Woodeze-10024-The-Smart-Splitter/dp/B000G8OXPY"]Amazon.com: The Smart Splitter: Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Radfl7lmL.@@AMEPARAM@@31Radfl7lmL[/ame]

I built a miter box with 2x6's to hold the splits...mounted the box on an old work stand.....I would use a chainsaw to chop the splits in half, after that you can split them with a small/medium axe...

One full size split would yield 6 nice pieces for me when I had my Lang 36...

Good Luck...Be safe...

to cut my splits in half I bought a cheap vice and mounted it to a board to cut them in half with a chainsaw and on splitting the splits I use a wedge and a five pound hammer .

Last edited:
Just a plain old axe about 3 i/2 pounds is all you need unless you are splitting knots or forks in the tree,then use a wedge.Splitting maul is ok too.

6 cord a year for heat. Maul, wedges, 16 pound sledge. All from tree length by hand. Just filled the wood furnace as I type.

Chainsaw, axe and small hatchet depending on the size of the log.

Chainsaw,maul and a double blade axe. I just pace myself splitting it.

The key is let the maul do all the work. Read the wood, see the cracks. If you swing it and hit it in the right spot. It'll split with ease. You will kill yourself swinging it as hard as you can.

Back