• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

simple question about wood chips?

don24

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
as I have aged I have become aware that the obvious answers aren't always correct to people who are very experienced in any field. now don't shoot me but im a gasser , I use a propane smoker and use chunked up wood from an apple orchard close by . the apple being a smother smoke allows me to apply smoke for a longer period to get deeper penetration without become acrid . I purchased a new smoker an extra wide version and it has a huge smoke tray, I mean this suckers the size of a 9inch cake pan. with my old smoker I cut the door in half to not open the top and loose the heat as the smoker box was small. I would like the smoke to last for as long as possible between replenishing. so do I use larger chunks soaked in water and with foil on top to reduce surface or do I use very small chips also soaked and fill as much as possible also foil to reduce air. Or ( insert your opinion here).

I would not and do not soak the wood. That simply adds water that must be heated, steamed off, before the wood actually starts to smolder and produce smoke. When I used my gas grill for adding smoke flavor, I would use chips tightly wrapped in foil with a few holes poked in the foil to let the smoke escape. The pouch would sit above the flame. Chunks straight in the pan with no foil would work well too. Experiment away, and have fun with the new toy.

limiting the air will extend the chips as they cannot flare up and burn away. The chunks will probably just smoke with no foil as they will not be getting hot enough to ignite sitting in a pan with no direct fire. Speculation on the chunks, as I am a stick burner.

Back