FireWire Kabobs

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We bought some FireWire flexible skewers at the KCBS banquet in January and finally got around to use them tonight :rolleyes:

I took skinless boneless chicken breasts and marinated them in the house dressing from a local pizza place and skewered them with a mix of green and orange bell peppers, sweet onions, zucchini, mushrooms, pineapple, and canned potatoes (regular potatoes don't cook fast enough). Then I grilled the kabobs while basting with the extra dressing. They came out very good and the Firewires worked well. I looped the straight end through the loop at the other end and used that point to pick them up and flip them.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318129532.974201.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318129532.974201.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 166
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318129552.925337.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1318129552.925337.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 165
i like mine a lot and use them regularly

at first it was a bit tricky to keep the pointy end in the grill long enough to disinfect it and then use tongs to pull it out and leave it hang outside the grill

I have seen those before and wondered if they are any good. I'm glad to hear a positive feedback on them from someone here. Thanks!

I have a set. I used them once. What I disliked was flipping the food. They didn't seem to have any grip and spun around inside the food. I had to use tongs to flip the individual pieces, which took a lot more time. Probably I should try them again, but I use wooden sticks and several metal skewers and never had such difficulties before.

I have a set. I used them once. What I disliked was flipping the food. They didn't seem to have any grip and spun around inside the food. I had to use tongs to flip the individual pieces, which took a lot more time. Probably I should try them again, but I use wooden sticks and several metal skewers and never had such difficulties before.

pick the whole thing up by the point and lay it back down again on the other side.

pick the whole thing up by the point and lay it back down again on the other side.

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I remember the last time, there was a LOT of slippage. That might work though.

I thought you meant:

firewire4-6.jpg

:p

that looks very good, I havent tried kabobs yet but I will.

i like mine a lot and use them regularly

at first it was a bit tricky to keep the pointy end in the grill long enough to disinfect it and then use tongs to pull it out and leave it hang outside the grill

Why would you need to leave it hanging out side the grill?

Thanks, I'll give it a try. I remember the last time, there was a LOT of slippage. That might work though.

There was slippage at first. The diameter of the straight piece at the one end of the wire is bigger that the wire, so the whole in the food is bigger. But, it seemes that once the food shrunk a bit things tightened up.

My wife got me some of those but I have not tried them yet. Thanks for the motivator!

Looking mighty Phine Ronelle!
We have those over here as well but I don't see much Dutch Brethren use them.
Most of the time we use these kind of SS skewers...

Weber_Satepennen.jpg

food looks good Bro.

I have a set of them I like to use in the Big Green Eggs... I can get more on at one time useing them.

There was slippage at first. The diameter of the straight piece at the one end of the wire is bigger that the wire, so the whole in the food is bigger. But, it seemes that once the food shrunk a bit things tightened up.

The holes in my food never shrunk I guess. The food just spun around like a merry-go-round and always ended up with the same side down, of course. Seems like a bit of a design flaw.

The holes in my food never shrunk I guess. The food just spun around like a merry-go-round and always ended up with the same side down, of course. Seems like a bit of a design flaw.

I think that's a problem with any single-tine skewer. I didn't have a problem last night with the Firewire, but i have seen the same thing with metal and bamboo skewers. The dual tine skewers that Phu posted are great because they eliminate the spin.

Back