primer for hot n fast brisket?

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've been monkeying with my offset so now I think I can reliably hold 350F. Can anyone point me to a post (or just tell me) how to cook a brisket hot n fast?

seattlepitboss

There is no real Magic. The Hotter the temp, the faster it cooks. Ya still gotta moniter the temps of the meat.

To avoid burnt bark, I think it is easier if you hold off on the sugars in the rub at those high temps.

I followed Patio Daddio's instructions and it came out great. I kept the temps at 325 and it was finished under 6 hrs. Only way I do them now.

To avoid burnt bark, I think it is easier if you hold off on the sugars in the rub at those high temps.

If you do use sugar, make sure it has a higher burning temp then white or brown sugar. I use turbinado all the time, and love the results.

No real trick to hot and fast. Get the cooker hot, toss the meat on, and let 'er rip. Don't peek, mop, spritz, foil, or anything, just let 'er rip. Keep it simple. Meat turns out just as moist 'n tasty as low and slow, you just get lots more sleep.

I did a hot & fast brisket a little while back and the only thing I'd do differently next time is use less salt - the bark was way salty for the flat, but the burnt ends I made from the point were not nearly as salty - they spent a couple more hours in the cooker so I'm wondering if saltiness somehow decreases over time.

+1 on the turbinado sugar btw.

JDMcGee of Wine Country Q is holding hot n fast classes there in Duvall, WA I think. Look him up and take his class

I've been known to start low for first hour or two as well, just to try to influence the smoke ring development, then ramp up heat to 300ish till done.

Back