MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default 2nd BGE Cook & A Few BGE Questions?

After reading I should do a few lower temp cooks to help set the gaskets I did a while chicken my first time (forgot to take pics). Then today I did some moinks and corn. For some reason that combo just sounded good. I used the plate setter both times to cook around 300-350. I have a few general questions for the BGE owners out there.

1. How long/many times do I need to cook low before I can crank it up? I want to high heat sear some steak and do pizza.

2. You'll notice I don't have any kind of drip pan underneath. I know you don't have to use one since it all burns off anyways, but does anyone use one for a water pan and find any noticeable moisture difference in the meat??

3. I love making pizza and I bought the BGE pizza stone. Any tips for pizza on the egg? I know to put the stone on as it comes up to temp. Temp suggestions? How hot can you cook pizza? Looks like you could cook a pizza pretty darn fast.

4. For my first low and slow smoke on the egg are their any lump lighting tips and vent adjustment tips? For my first 2 cooks I just put a bunch in there an dropped a few weber cubes to start it, got it up to around 300 and randomly closed the vents a little to hold temp. WSM practice probably helped a little, but I know they aren't the same. Do people get the temp up high, then put meat on which brings the temp down a little and then adjust vents? I'm sure there are different methods.
4b. Is it sacrilegious to use weber cubes to light a BGE and not the BGE starters ?? I just like them.

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
Midnight Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnbish View Post

2. You'll notice I don't have any kind of drip pan underneath. I know you don't have to use one since it all burns off anyways, but does anyone use one for a water pan and find any noticeable moisture difference in the meat??
I use a various sized aluminum pans for mine. I also wrap the Plate Setter in foil to keep it cleaner.

*** Terry ~ aka Pork Smoker ***

** XL-BGE Hatched 06/20/2008 09:42 pm **
* Couple Weber Kettles, CharGriller, UDS *
* Ultra Fast Red Thermapen *
Projects
Kamado Restoration
Bandera Restoration

Midnight Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2011, 09:35 PM   #3
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by {Midnight ☼ Smoke} View Post
I use a various sized aluminum pans for mine. I also wrap the Plate Setter in foil to keep it cleaner.
Thanks for the info. I'm sure I'll give the pans a try one way or another.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
Braddog
Full Fledged Farker

I use a drip pan, but I don't add anything to it. Just use it to catch drippings.

+1 on wrapping the platesetter in foil. It's just easier to clean up that way.

I use MAPP gas to light the lump. I've used cubes, but I'm too impatient.

Finally, I don't use the platesetter if I'm grilling at 350 degrees. I like the extra smoke from grease dripping on the coals.

Cheers,
Braddog
Large Big Green Egg
Bubba Keg
Braddog is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-30-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
isolated01
Full Fledged Farker

I wrap the platesetter in foil and use a disposable pan to catch the drippings, then put ash in it and throw away. I went 5 low cooks before cooking steaks at high temp. You should try a long low and slow like a pork butt or pulled beef, Good luck with your egg. I have 3 now!!
isolated01 is offline   Reply With Quote