MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
redneck allstar
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Grilled bananas

So I went to six flags yesterday and they had advertisements for grilled bananas all over the park. Has anyone tried this? It sounds pretty interesting. I was thinking of taking a banana and cutting it length wise. Then set in on the gill open side down over direct heat just to give a few lines. Then flip it and grill until the peel was nice an dark. Top with whipped cream and a little caramel.
redneck allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 11:12 AM   #2
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Where they like platanos? These bananas are not eaten raw but typically fried, popular in many cultures.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
Smokey Al Gold
is Blowin Smoke!

Phubar might be able to chime in on this for you I think he does a grilled banana dessert. Let's see how long it takes him. :)

Creator of:
"The Great Chicken Sammich Debacle of 2010"
Smokey Al Gold is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 11:29 AM   #4
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

Not plantains http://www.mobilemarketer.com/cms/ne...ing/10517.html

It's a promotion between Dole and 6 Flags
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #5
redneck allstar
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks S&S. They were defiantly bananas. i would think plantains would be good as well though.
redneck allstar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 12:06 PM   #6
PitRow
is one Smokin' Farker

never really grilled them but when we were camping as kids we used to cut a wedge out of the top, leaving the skin attached and fill it with chocolate chips and marshmallows then wrap them up in foil and put them in the fire for a little bit. Pretty dang good!

I'd think sliced lengthwise and grilled with some brown sugar might be awesome.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:15 PM   #7
JD08
is one Smokin' Farker

Great. Now I've got something else to try this weekend.

After my overcooked peaches incident, my wife is hesitant to be my guinea pig.
JD08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 12:16 PM   #8
Woodmonkey
Full Fledged Farker

Dessert, Fruit, Richard Fl Here is one way I like to do bananas, peaches, pears and apples, pineapple rings or wedges, halved grapefruit (just separate the membrand from the skin and each piece of fruit).. INGREDIENTS: 1/4 cup Turbindo sugar. 1/2 cup Pecans, Walnuts, Macademia, Almond or combination, Coarsley Chopped 1/4 cup Coconut Flakes, Coarsley Chopped 4 Tbs Butter, Melted 1/2 oz Gran Marnier, Amaretto, Myers Rum, Orange or Banana Liquer, Malibu Coconut Rum, Capt. Morgan Spiced Rum, (Your Choice, Optional) Dash Cinnamon, Cloves, Optional
Whip Cream to Garnish Procedure: 1 For an interesting dessert, take the coconut flakes, nuts, turbindo sugar, melted butter, and mix with a little, (your choice) gran marnier, amaretto, or liqueur of choice or orange juice. Mix into a thick paste. Cut bananas in half lengthwise with skin on, (skin is great after heated) peaches or pears. After the main dish is cooked and the BGE is being shutdown. I place the fruit on the grid (skin on) with the mixture covering the fruit and shut the puppy down. 15-25 minutes later, after the main course is finished, the dessert is ready. Top with blueberries, raspberries,whipped cream, ice cream or whatever you prefer. Recipe Type Dessert Recipe Source Source: BGE Forum, Richard Fl, 2007/02/22
Woodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #9
Stoke&Smoke
Babbling Farker

We've done a take on bananas foster on the grill, just grilled them briefly to get some nice grill marks, and finished in a cast iron skillet with brown sugar, cinnamon, butter, banana liquor, and a little rum, all served over a good quality vanilla ice cream!
Deelicious!!!!
KCBS CJ/TC #17139 Member ILBBQS
Too many cookers to list :crazy:

Last edited by Stoke&Smoke; 08-05-2011 at 04:57 PM..
Stoke&Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

It's making me hungry again.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Where they like platanos? These bananas are not eaten raw but typically fried, popular in many cultures.
Patacones/Tostones was my first thought as well.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-05-2011, 06:48 PM   #12
Qing
Knows what a fatty is.

Cut em in half lengthwise - cut side down on a hot grill for 2 ta 3 minutes. Ya can eat em with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and man o man. Ya can make a brown sugar Cinnamon reduction (butter as a base) if it needs ta be sweeter. Whip cream, crushed peanuts and a cherry on top if ya want ta be fancy.
Qing is offline   Reply With Quote