MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #1
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Default a little brisket help

Ok having some brisket problems in getting the end results that I'm looking for. The number of briskets I've done is going on my second hand so not many. I've got a drum smoker so it's a direct heat type smoker & I'm doing it high heat as I've found on long smoking meats like butts/brisket that if I do them low'n slow for very long periods they get oversmoked & that's not good for competition results (working towards that).

I got a 9lb prime packer that I injected Myron style w/ a beef base/stock mix & then seasoned w/ my rub ( a bit on the salty side). I did it at 325-350 range for approx 2-2.5hrs (it was approx 160-165) then foiled up in a tin foil pan for about another 1.5hrs (it was avg about 205 overall) before I took it off to rest. I let it rest for about 45min before I cut it. Overall it was a little tough like it might be underdone using the pull test. It was semi-dry in most places though the point was fine. With it being prime did I overshoot & end up on the jerky side or is my salty rub leaching too much moisture out or should I have gone longer? Any thoughts anyone might have as I'm trying to figure my next move on what to do???

Last edited by hogzillas; 06-11-2012 at 09:56 PM..
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
MilitantSquatter

what is the end result you are looking for ?

so... you're paying for prime $$$ after only cooking less than 10 briskets ?

start reading here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=brisket

and here's a good one from the last day or two

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135541
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't inject my meat or foil until the brisket is off the pit and resting. When I cook on the UDS I go Fat cap down for two hrs and then into a pan fat cap up. I don't go by meat temp per say, I put the probe in the midle of the thickest part of the flat, and set the alarm for 190. When the alarm goes off. I use a bamboo skewer and probe the brisket i several places. If it slides in like a hot knife through soft butter it's good to go. If there is any resistance I let the temp come up 5 deg and check it again. No two will ever finish at the same temp. I use a simple rub of 50 % k salt & 50% butcher grind black pepper, and just let it cook.

Old 06-11-2012, 09:45 PM   #4
Chezmatt
Full Fledged Farker

I don't inject either, but I do sometimes marinate overnight in a beer/oil/chipotle cocktail. I think the most important thing to remember is that the temp is more of a guideline, and the real test is the consistency. Like bludawg said, whether the meat is probe tender (like butter) is more important than the actual temp.

Also, like bludawg said, I recently had my first straight salt-and-pepper brisket, and am now seriously questioning my commitment to more complex rubs.
22.5" WSM (x2) /[COLOR=Orange][B] Orange [/B][/COLOR]& [B]Black [/B]Mini-WSM / Lion gas grill / [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B]Green[/B][/COLOR] Weber Performer / [COLOR="Red"][B]Red[/B][/COLOR] & [COLOR="gold"][B] Gold [/B][/COLOR] Mini-WSM / XL Big Green Egg
Chezmatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #5
hogzillas
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitantSquatter View Post
what is the end result you are looking for ?

so... you're paying for prime $$$ after only cooking less than 10 briskets ?

start reading here

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=brisket

and here's a good one from the last day or two

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=135541
Thanks for the links, gives me reading material for the week.

I was able to get this prime for not much more than what I'd been paying for Angus choice or no roll select grade from Wally World in my area ($40 vs $50), so I gave it a go.

As to end result, I'm cooking towards competition type results. I've been judging for a few years but I'm looking to get back on the other side of things but have work to do on my meats for the flavors I'm wanting to achieve for each & right now I'm working on briskets.
hogzillas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2012, 10:28 PM   #6
Butt Rubb'n BBQ
Take a breath!

I heard it can be done but I have never tasted a tender brisket that was only cooked for four hours. Happy smoking. You can't rush greatness!
Butt Rubb'n BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 05:03 AM   #7
RedPig
Full Fledged Farker

I find that I get better results by holding for a few hours, especially cooking hot and fast temp range. As others have stated, probe with a skewer (I use temp probe). I probe in three places, point, flat and middle...all should probe tender before I take off smoker. The probe should pull out without resistance.

Old 06-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

If you're using a drum and finding it too smokey, you may prefer to use a diffuser between the fire and meat. It may be the fat directly on the fire you're tasting and not liking. It is a personal preference thing. Some people like the direct fire and others don't. Have you tired this? I also am beginning to think that a little flipping and rotating can help with a drum.

I use a 16" terra cotta potting base wrapped in foil about 8" below my top grate on a lower grate. Salt and pepper rub, 250* for 12 hours +- until probe good. No foil. Easy as it gets and I typically get above average results but not quite nirvana yet (as judged versus a personal mind blowing experience at one of the best in Texas).

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #9
CnQ
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogzillas View Post
Ok having some brisket problems in getting the end results that I'm looking for. The number of briskets I've done is going on my second hand so not many. I've got a drum smoker so it's a direct heat type smoker & I'm doing it high heat as I've found on long smoking meats like butts/brisket that if I do them low'n slow for very long periods they get oversmoked & that's not good for competition results (working towards that).

I got a 9lb prime packer that I injected Myron style w/ a beef base/stock mix & then seasoned w/ my rub ( a bit on the salty side). I did it at 325-350 range for approx 2-2.5hrs (it was approx 160-165) then foiled up in a tin foil pan for about another 1.5hrs (it was avg about 205 overall) before I took it off to rest. I let it rest for about 45min before I cut it. Overall it was a little tough like it might be underdone using the pull test. It was semi-dry in most places though the point was fine. With it being prime did I overshoot & end up on the jerky side or is my salty rub leaching too much moisture out or should I have gone longer? Any thoughts anyone might have as I'm trying to figure my next move on what to do???
underdone. a longer rest would have nailed it.
CnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-2012, 11:44 AM   #10
str8upnobs
Found some matches.

Indirect and Low & Slow is where i'd try to go w/ it. You get those two right & the rest is just "gravy". There are two items from my(somewhat limited) experience that you should not rush , brisket and ribs. Trust me i've tried & mostly ended up w/ shoe leather type results. The dog was fat & happy for it though ,lol.
str8upnobs is offline   Reply With Quote