MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2018, 12:48 PM   #1
Av8er
Full Fledged Farker

Default PBC Turkey

Has any of you smoked a turkey on the PBC? I am going to give it a try for thanksgiving and was curious as to how your turned out. I reckon I will use a couple apple chunks since I hear it’s easy to over smoke. I will be hanging it and there isn’t a good way to use a pan for drippingsso I reckon the drippings will add to the flavor when they hit the coals. Also, what rub should I use? What’s your thoughts?
Av8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #2
grosen84
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Greg

I followed the amazing ribs recipe last week. Came out gbd for sure. I have a homemade drum, so I had a second rack for the gravy pan. If you're going to drip right on the coals, I'd probably go no wood if you're experimenting with Thanksgiving dinner...don't want to over do the smoke...used the Simon and Garfunkel rub mix on the same site.
grosen84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #3
pharp
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8er View Post
Has any of you smoked a turkey on the PBC? I am going to give it a try for thanksgiving and was curious as to how your turned out. I reckon I will use a couple apple chunks since I hear it’s easy to over smoke. I will be hanging it and there isn’t a good way to use a pan for drippingsso I reckon the drippings will add to the flavor when they hit the coals. Also, what rub should I use? What’s your thoughts?
I do them on my PBC every year. They turn out awesome. I use the PBC turkey hanger. You can also use the hooks if you don't have one of them. I really like Kosmos Dirty Bird Hot. Usually takes about 3 hours...I aim for a smaller size bird just because I don't need any more than that.

Old 11-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #4
Tannhauser42
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

I'm doing my turkey in the PBC this year. I did a test run a couple weeks ago with a small turkey, and it turned out well. I have learned my lesson, though. Whatever time the recipes say it takes to cook the turkey, I'm putting it in at least an hour before that. Already have the turkey, and will be doing the dry brine on it tomorrow night so it'll be nice and ready for Thursday.
Tannhauser42 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #5
Av8er
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the replies. I have the hanger and a 13lb turkey so I am gonna give it a go.
Av8er is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-18-2018, 05:37 PM   #6
highergr0und
Full Fledged Farker

I've done a few in the PBC. Always come out great!

Old 11-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #7
Bob C Cue
Babbling Farker

PBC turkey I'd great. Be sure to use an instant read thermometer and not the pop-up gizmo if it has one. Best of luck and happy turkey day.
Thermoworks Smoke
Bob C Cue is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2018, 10:57 PM   #8
D&D BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I do a turkey on the PBC every year I’ve had it. The turkey hangar works great and definitely takes away the worries of it coming off the hooks. For seasoning, I usually use Plowboys Yardbird but this year I’m going to try Q-salt. You’re right about the lack of drippings for gravy but if you can finish the turkey early and hold it in the oven or dry ice chest for an hour or so, you’ll have plenty of juice in the bottom of the pan it’s resting in for that. One other thing I like to do is inject with Creole butter which ensures juicy and flavorful meat (especially in the breast. I just use off the shelf stuff which is plentiful this time of year by the frozen turkeys). The timeline they give in the PBC website on their holiday turkey recipe is spot on for me so I’d go by that.

Thanks from:--->