MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Recipes Smoke Signals Magazine Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-16-2018, 12:34 PM   #16
AggieBoilerQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Ray

Former FF too. Our VFD (I’m not a member of that dept) here uses cinder blocks and expanded metal. That way when the event grows annually, they can just add size to it. They build and break it down every year. That way, everyone can pitch in to help, not just the chef/cooks. Plus it’s cheap.

I’ve done 6 butts at once on my 18” WSM, no drama.

Old 11-16-2018, 03:46 PM   #17
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Meadowcreek makes some excellent Cabinets, stick burners etc
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-16-2018, 06:51 PM   #18
Smokie185
Full Fledged Farker

You might want to check out these guys.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/HBTsmokers/posts/

https://www.hbtsmokers.com/

I think they have some models that are not on the website.

Old 11-16-2018, 07:04 PM   #19
Ps1474
Found some matches.

Thanks all!

I think the leading contenders are either a insulated cabinet style smoker (with Humphrey's Holiday Weekender being the leading contender) or building 3 "extended" UDSs.

Does anyone know of a place that sells clean, preferably new, unlined barrels near Richmond Virginia?

EDIT: The HBT Weekender looks really great too!

I think for ease of use, if we don't go with the cabinet style, I really want something with a offset firebox with bonus points if it's insulated. Thoughts??

Last edited by Ps1474; 11-16-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Ps1474 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #20
Joshw
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps1474 View Post
Thanks all!

I think the leading contenders are either a insulated cabinet style smoker (with Humphrey's Holiday Weekender being the leading contender) or building 3 "extended" UDSs.

Does anyone know of a place that sells clean, preferably new, unlined barrels near Richmond Virginia?

EDIT: The HBT Weekender looks really great too!

I think for ease of use, if we don't go with the cabinet style, I really want something with a offset firebox with bonus points if it's insulated. Thoughts??
I don't think you want an offset firebox, unless you are planning on burning wood. You are going to burn a lot more charcoal, than the cabinet or a uds. Since you are wanting inexperienced people to run them, charcoal is your best bet. That's why I recommended the insulated cabinet. They are about as set it, and forget it as you can get. I also considered operating costs. You will pay more up front for the cabinet smoker, but if you only have to run 1 cooker instead of 3 you are going to save over time. Same for pellets. Love my pellet grill, but your operating costs are going to be higher running a pellet grill, over the cabinet smoker, and you don't have to worry about electricity.

If you want to go the offset route, Lone Star Grills is a good option. Also I think st louis bbq store still has a couple shirleys in stock.

Last edited by Joshw; 11-16-2018 at 11:47 PM..
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #21
cfrazier77
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

Another volunteer fire fighter here, one important question, where are you going to store the smoker when you are not using it? That can make a big difference. Since can Jackie handle the weather better than others. And, you also have to figure out how to prevent it from being stolen if it is stored outside.
I have a humphreys down east beast with the slide out water pan. I can fit 8 large butts or 12 small ones with the thermometer removed. With the drop in pan you can get 2 more large butts or 3 more small ones.

Check 270 smokers, they are in your area and may give you a discount.

Old 11-17-2018, 10:21 AM   #22
Mikhail
is One Chatty Farker

Can you possibly rent for the one big event every year, then buy something more appropriate for everyday use?

PK Classic Grill
Broil King Signet 320 Propane
Good One Open Range over & under
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 02:44 PM   #23
retfr8flyr
On the road to being a farker

You should check this grill out, Smokin Brothers 72" Light Commercial Pellet Grill. It's retail is right at your budget but I imagine they would cut you a good deal for being a FD. It is over 2000 sq inches of cooking space, has the Savannah Stoker controller, has an insulated fire box for colder weather cooks and should handle your needs.

Old 11-17-2018, 03:11 PM   #24
rwalters
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by retfr8flyr View Post
You should check this grill out, Smokin Brothers 72" Light Commercial Pellet Grill. It's retail is right at your budget but I imagine they would cut you a good deal for being a FD. It is over 2000 sq inches of cooking space, has the Savannah Stoker controller, has an insulated fire box for colder weather cooks and should handle your needs.

100% agree! A fantastic option :)

Old 11-17-2018, 03:24 PM   #25
Ps1474
Found some matches.

That looks like a solid option for sure!

How does stuff cooked on a pellet smoker taste compared to Charcoal or wood? Ive never used one.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:00 PM   #26
Kmm
Knows what a fatty is.

Sounds like pigdude has pretty much what you are looking for. Search for the following:
[I]Large 4'x6' grill Custom made, ALL Stainless Steel 304[I]

Granted, you may have to drive a bit to get it, but consider how much paying freight will limit what you can afford buying new from an OEM.
Kmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 04:23 PM   #27
retfr8flyr
On the road to being a farker

Quote:

How does stuff cooked on a pellet smoker taste compared to Charcoal or wood? Ive never used one.
Another factor with the SB72 is it has a small footprint, for storage when not in use. Pellet grills with a good controller, like the Savannah, make food just as good as charcoal or stick burner. It's just a different flavor, not as harsh as charcoal and cleaner and a little lighter than a stick burner. Some actually prefer the pellet flavor. The Smokin Brothers web site is messed up right now, they are making a big upgrade but you can check them out on facebook and youtube. They offer a very good product for the price and are a small family owned company that has been in business for years. By the way I have no affiliation with them, just think they make a great product.

Old 11-17-2018, 04:28 PM   #28
luv2smoke
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:

This question will surely spark a heated debate. Seems like guys that are all in with their pellet grills claim the taste is great and some are still on the quest of trying to produce more smoke flavor from their smokers.
My experience as I've owned both, as far as imparted smoke flavor pellets don't even come close to the to the flavor of charcoal and wood.
Pellets are a good alternative to wood and charcoal smokers but in my opinion they're a world apart when it comes to results.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #29
EdF
is One Chatty Farker

I'd consider a KBQ (maybe 2?), though I'm not sure it's up to your capacity requirement. www.kbq.us . Nominally 60 lbs. Makes great Q, but it is just a smoker. Small footprint, easy to store.

And their helpers.
EdF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-17-2018, 09:25 PM   #30
Ps1474
Found some matches.

Awesome suggestions!

I'm strongly considering the Assassin 24. Looks like it checks all the boxes, right at our max budget, easy to use, and should give great results.