new tool new results!

rookiedad

is Blowin Smoke!
hi, i had some pretty good results finishing off a pork butt in the oven in an oven hearth. i was wondering if such a thing could be used in competition if it is contained in a smoker? check it out at www.hearthkitchen.com. thanks!
phil

rookiedad said:
hi, i had some pretty good results finishing off a pork butt in the oven in an oven hearth. i was wondering if such a thing could be used in competition if it is contained in a smoker? check it out at www.hearthkitchen.com. thanks!
phil
Yes.
It is not a heat source.

With that, I am moving this to Q-Talk.
Brother's may have interest in this as a BBQ tool.
Not unique to Competetion.

TIM

perhaps those among us who are judges could tell me what they are looking for in the texture and tenderness departments and i can compare that to my new results. thanks
phil

kapndsl said:
Yes.
It is not a heat source.

With that, I am moving this to Q-Talk.
Brother's may have interest in this as a BBQ tool.
Not unique to Competetion.

TIM

when you say "not unique to competition" do you mean that folks commonly use these in competition? thanks.
phil

rookiedad said:
when you say "not unique to competition" do you mean that folks commonly use these in competition? thanks.
phil

Not at all.
Never seen one.
The device is legal--simple answer.

But, it may be of interest to general Queing, not specific to Comp--so it belongs here.

Your other question about texture and all belongs in Comp--see my PM.

TIM

Texture and Tenderness​

If it is sliced, I look for a bit of resistance when I pull the slice apart - the stuff should not fight me, nor should it give it up on the first date. If it is not sliced, I look for a bit of resistance as I bite and chew - and as I chew it, I exepect the piece of meat in my mouth to become smaller and smaller - not like the dry brisket that gets bigger and bigger as I chew.

I don't think that this has much to do with barbecue really - isn't this how one normally judges if meat is well cooked?

Back