MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 03-23-2007, 08:50 PM   #46
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beam boys bbq View Post
I am with jeff here

harbor fright in columbia mo is where i get my glove there the thin latex
XL for 3.00 an box
or they have big blue gloves they are 7.00 an box and are twice the thickness of the Nitriles

when the rubs go on it is faster to clean the hands with gloves on
we like the convence of the glove

york
I typically use those super thin food service gloves from restaurant supply places. I hate them. Are the blue? nitrile gloves from Harbor Freight 'clean and food safe' out of the box?
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-25-2007, 06:52 AM   #47
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Wanted to add something....I frequently double glove. I learned it more when I was doing surgical procedures. I found after doing all my work and wanting to wrap up after the procedure I would deglove the dirty first pair and still have a barrier protection to work with the patient. I do it when I rub meats too. After the rub gums everything up, I deglove and am readyt o process the next step with clean gloves. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 PM   #48
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Great idea on the double gloves Scott. Im definitely gonna try that

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 07:17 AM   #49
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

What about the powder on the inside? Doesn't that transfer onto the outer skin on the inside glove you had on? The gloves I use are latex exam gloves by Value Touch. They have a light powder coating on the inside. I don't think I want that on my food.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:32 AM   #50
chad
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by River City Smokehouse View Post
What about the powder on the inside? Doesn't that transfer onto the outer skin on the inside glove you had on? The gloves I use are latex exam gloves by Value Touch. They have a light powder coating on the inside. I don't think I want that on my food.

Often, that's corn starch...which is inert.

Something that's often forgotten is: you should wash your hands each time to change gloves!! It's in the RULE BOOK!! Trust me!! I know we don't do it all the time, but gloves are never an excuse for not washing the hands.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:53 AM   #51
River City Smokehouse
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post

Something that's often forgotten is: you should wash your hands each time to change gloves!! It's in the RULE BOOK!! Trust me!! I know we don't do it all the time, but gloves are never an excuse for not washing the hands.
I wash my hands very often but not everytime I change gloves. There are many times I change gloves because I tear one or I have to slip one off for some reason. That may be a habit I start though. I never knew corn starch is what was used in gloves. Thanks for the info.
Traeger Texas BBQ 075
UDS "Cool Hand Luke"
3 Weber Kettles and a Yellow Thermapen
KCBS Certified BBQ Judge #8425
River City Smokehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 09:24 AM   #52
PigBoy
Full Fledged Farker

[quote=BBQchef33;252651]

See the jars in this pic? they got a glove on them. I also put on glove on all the rub jars and shakers before i start prepwork so I dont get coodies on them...
I tried the jar condom idea yesterday. What a great idea! Sure beats wiping the containers all the time.

Pork Pullin Plowboys
www.plowboysbbq.com
www.hinckfarms.com

Traeger 200, Kingfisher Commercial, Bandera, Weber Kettle
PigBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 11:31 AM   #53
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Rather than gloves on the jars, I wrap with plastic wrap, then discard when done for the day. Cheaper than gloves :)
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 03:46 PM   #54
G$
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad View Post

I looked at the nitrile gloves at harbor freight. They are powdered on the outside, and inside i guess, which to me defeats the purpose a little bit. In other words, prior to handling foods, thes gloves should be sponge washed.

These particular gloves might use corn starch, but I am not going to test it. They say 'industrial grade', not food grade, and not medical grade.

I will just continue with my constant hand washing, and using the new food service gloves when handling cooked meat for presentation as a double safe guard.
G$ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 04:13 PM   #55
backporchbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

I use them as I am pulling the meat out of the wrapper. I use them the entire time I am handeling the meat. I change them any time I switch from slather to rubs, and any time I switch meats. If I stop for a few minutes in between I use them. We usually go through a box or two of gloves each contest.
backporchbbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 02:50 AM   #56
Hook_Line_and_Sinker
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by G$ View Post
I looked at the nitrile gloves at harbor freight. They are powdered on the outside, and inside i guess, which to me defeats the purpose a little bit. In other words, prior to handling foods, thes gloves should be sponge washed.

These particular gloves might use corn starch, but I am not going to test it. They say 'industrial grade', not food grade, and not medical grade.

I will just continue with my constant hand washing, and using the new food service gloves when handling cooked meat for presentation as a double safe guard.

I confirmed the harbor frieght gloves are indeed cornstarch - right there on the label , below the bottm of the box in wee tiny print non caking corn starch at that ... so they say

Viking 30 inch Gravity Fed Charcoal Smoker
Brinkmann 5 burner gas grill with sear & rotisserie
UDS's 3 and growing
Char Griller w/SFB w/mods
Orion Cooker
Charbroil 7000 Gas Grill
Hook_Line_and_Sinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 10:19 PM   #57
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

I've seen these at Sams over by the pharmacy near the diabetic supplies.

You get 2 boxes of 100 for about 10 bucks, at least that is the way they have them packaged at our Sams.

For some reason the web site only has them listed in 1000 count.
Not a bad deal actually.

These are what I'm using.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #58
smoke-n-my-i's
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakfishingfool View Post
Rather than gloves on the jars, I wrap with plastic wrap, then discard when done for the day. Cheaper than gloves :)
After setting up camp, that is the first thing I try to remember to do....

And being allergic to pork... I use a TON of gloves and soap. Gloves on before opening pork butt packages.... trim, etc.... change gloves.... then rub. Take off gloves, and wash well.... more gloves, then on to the ribs. Same thing....

The same goes for the brisket and the chicken. I picked up a couple of boxes from Harbor Freight the last time through S.C..... I usually keep at least 3-4 boxes handy at all times.

I also like the idea for the public to see me using the gloves. They like the "safety" and cleanliness I am sure.

Not only do I have to look out for myself, but I feel it is best for all involved. And with my allergy, I use different knives, cutting boards, etc. for my pork products than for my beef and chicken. Then they all go into the wash basin for a thorough cleaning and sanitizing.
2 UGLY drum smokers
Weber 22 1/2" & 18 1/2" Kettle
Super fast RED Thermapen
Screaming fast ORANGE Thermapen
KCBS Certified Table Captain
KCBS Certified Judge
smoke-n-my-i's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #59
NotleyQue
Full Fledged Farker

I go through a ton of gloves.
I use em all the time. I get really cool black ones that narcotics officers use. I get em from a narco officer actually. They are reallay comforable, fit the hands well, and are a bit thicker than most dispsable gloves out there. I use em all through the cook.

I am stealing the glove on the spice bottle trick someone posted in a picture on page 1. Thats a great idea. Good thinking.

[CENTER][B]Notley Que BBQ: Southern California's Finest BBQ Catering[/B][/CENTER]
[CENTER][B][FONT=Arial Black]Meat is Murder......Tasty Tasty Murder[/FONT][/B][/CENTER]
NotleyQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:24 PM   #60
Countryhb
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotleyQue View Post
I go through a ton of gloves.
I use em all the time. I get really cool black ones that narcotics officers use. I get em from a narco officer actually. They are reallay comforable, fit the hands well, and are a bit thicker than most dispsable gloves out there. I use em all through the cook.

I am stealing the glove on the spice bottle trick someone posted in a picture on page 1. Thats a great idea. Good thinking.
And if you pit-bi tch for Gary he'll give you one black glove at a time to use...I know, I've seen it!!
Kamado #7
BWS Party
NB offset with baffle and chimney mods--STOLEN
Double-barrel 55-gal drum smoker
A farking weed burner...hehe hehe! Fire's Cool!
Countryhb is offline   Reply With Quote