DerHusker

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
With Oktoberfest about to start up next week I decided to try my hand at making Soft Pretzels.

Here are most of the Ingredients:

1 cup Milk (warmed to approx. 105 degrees)
2 tbsp. Sugar
2 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
2 tbsp. Butter Softened
2 1/2 Cups AP Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
+
1 cup Water
1 1/2 tbsp. Baking Soda
Pretzel Salt (To Taste)
2 tbsp. Melted Butter

YouTube Recipe can be found here: (Link: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYewgtCpmsI"]Homemade Soft Pretzels!! How to Make Pretzels Recipe - YouTube[/ame])

Here are the dough ingredients mixed and proofing.

Here it is after proofing for 90 minutes. (Easily doubled in size)

Now on my pastry mat pressed down and kneaded for a minute.

Formed into a ball

and divided into sixth’s.

First piece rolled into a rope approximately 22” long.

Formed into a U shaped.

Twist once

and then again

and finally take the 2 end and bring them up to meet the top of the pretzel and lightly pinched.

I put the 6 completed pretzels on a tray with parchment paper and took them out to my gas side burner with the water and baking soda solution which I had boiled.

I dipped each pretzel in the solution for 10 to 15 seconds per side and then put them on a greased sheet and then placed them on my pizza stone. If I had placed them closer I could’ve gotten all 6 on at once but I wanted some space between them so I only got 5 to start. After they had cooked for 7 minutes I then moved them around a little to make space for the 6th pretzel.

And here it is plated with some Horseradish Mustard.

Das Wunderbar! :thumb:

Last edited:
Looks great! Thanks for the little tutorial on twisting...I normally just make "sticks" because I couldn't twist them.

Well played good sir! My first soft pretzel attempt was sticks. My first attempt at the pretzel shape was a disaster, so I went with sticks afterwards. They tasted great. But with a video, I can try again. Cooked on the BBQ. Inspired!

We've done them once before, but never thought about a grill or smoker.

guinness-brilliant.jpg

I'm moving to the Ranchos Penasquitos area within a month. Just sayin cause I would like for you to update your address book for your next cook! :becky:

Those look fantastic! We've made them before, but now we have a Pizzaque portable pizza oven that would totally rock some pretzels out!!! They are too easy to not make. Thanks for the inspiration.

A couple weekends ago we were lucky enough to be able to go to the Chippewa Falls, WI Oktoberfest hosted by Leinenkugel's brewery. We had the best horseradish mustard ever there on our pretzels. I dislike horseradish, but this was so dang good! I need to find out what brand it was.

That looks amazing! I love soft pretzels and will definitely have to try this!!!

Looking great. You brought me back quite a few years when I used to make bagels and pretzels out of the same dough. Similar enough just a different shape.

Back