MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses.

Notices

Catering, Vending and Cooking For The Masses. this forum is OnTopic. A resource to help with catering, vending and just cooking for large parties. Topics to include Getting Started, Ethics, Marketing, Catering resources, Formulas and recipes for cooking for large groups.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Starting my own Catering Company?

Hey everyone, I want to thank ya'll in advance for helping me out with this...

I wanted to start my own BBQ business in the Maryland area. I really think there's a good market for it.
Problem is - I have no clue how to begin to start this business.
What are the steps I have to take. I know this is really broad and basic, but I really don't know how to go about this. I hope your input helps. Thanks again.

Old 05-03-2010, 03:45 PM   #2
C Rocke
is One Chatty Farker

First and foremost, contact your local Health Department for your county to understand what sort of requirements they have for your commissary and/or onsite preparation. Next, your local city for business licenses, and then the State for sales and tax issues. Then insurance for vehicles and general liability.

There are at least a hundred other things to know in order to be safe, legal, and in business. Take your time - Research, plan, and do things right the first time an you'll stand a good chance of getting off the ground.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:48 PM   #3
tmkshew
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks I appreciate it. I've been researching like crazy since I posted. Which wasn't really too long ago from now, but I've learned a tremendous amount so far. I'll keep this thread updated. Maybe you guys can somehow join me in this process.
It's going to be fun and I'm excited about it.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #4
big brother smoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=51391

Good reading on Getting Started

Powered by the West Coast Offense: Big Poppa Smokers and Simply Marvelous BBQ - "Walk with Us"

My weapons: Humphrey's Smokers
big brother smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:29 PM   #5
ShutYrMouth
Full Fledged Farker

hey tmkshew im with ya as well
so far, i have contacted the hd 2 times
talked to them and they sent me in the right direction
however, what i have discovered is, you really need to talk to the main inspector. in my area, there is a guy who has been the main inspector for 20 years or so, but he is going to another department and a new inspector is doing stuff now. he hasnt ever done a mobile food vendor before so we will be "learning together'. great.

another thing i learned was, dont count on anyone else besides the inspector to know anything. the people who take your application for whatever permit dont seem to know anything really. they'll tell you you need this and that and you dont.
the biz side of stuff sucks. i think that i am gonna hire a lawyer to do everything for me. it may cost a little but it will save alot of headaches.

where i am at is this: i bought a diamond plate fat 50 and a stumps stretch. i also have a 12x6 enclosed trailer that i am working on converting to a kitchen. my dad works for a company who builds modular food service restaurants. they will be doing the actual building of the trailer.

ill post more later, i have company and i'm too distracted to think clearly right now.
greg
WSM 22.5'
Weber Kettle
ShutYrMouth is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beef, catering, chicken, pork, pork butt, ribs