MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #16
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

I haven't noticed it at my Sams's, but I'm going there for some corned brisket. I'll have to ask about it.

I've cooked on mesquite charcoal for years and love it. Right now I get the Lazarri in 40# bags for $19. It's not as sparky as some. All mesquite lump has big pieces, but I built a lump whacker to even things out.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #17
bigtex52
Got Wood.

I've used it a lot and sparklers are not an exaggeration! When you are starting it up, you need to babysit it as it pops big chunks out of the chimney. I have some nice sized burn craters on my wood deck and a couple of burn scars on the soles of my feet. (OK, it's not a good idea to go barefoot around a popping fire! ;)

Plus, it has been my experience that a lot of it is way under-carbonized, so it is like cooking with a mixture of lump and mesquite. Can't beat the price though, for what you get.
NB Hondo Offset
2 WSM
Weber One Touch Silver
Large SS Virco Gasser
bigtex52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-11-2010, 03:04 PM   #18
Bushwacker
is one Smokin' Farker

That Bird came out looking real good. I remember being stationed out at Ft Carson, CO. back in 77 and we'd light a campfire during gunnery, and it was mesquite, It would "Snap,Crackle and pop all night long,, burnt some holes into my Field jacket trying to keep warm up there in the winter, lol, those were the days...
UDS (Under Construction)
Bushwacker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 12:33 PM   #19
bigabyte
somebody shut me the fark up.

Just thought I should wrap this up by saying this is officially my favorite charcoal now. I have not had the problems with sparking/popping or the smoke ever since that first chimney full.

I posted my review of this stuff here.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=80624
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 01:15 PM   #20
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

I looked in Sam's yesterday and they don't have it here.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 04:59 PM   #21
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Third I still love the long long probe you sent me to see if the briskets are juicy where I can't reach them... its like 22 inches long.

I call it Thirdeye's Big Juicy Probe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I haven't noticed it at my Sams's, but I'm going there for some corned brisket. I'll have to ask about it.

I've cooked on mesquite charcoal for years and love it. Right now I get the Lazarri in 40# bags for $19. It's not as sparky as some. All mesquite lump has big pieces, but I built a lump whacker to even things out.

Old 03-18-2010, 05:02 PM   #22
Derek
is Blowin Smoke!

Looks farkin good man! keep up the good work!
Derek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2010, 05:28 PM   #23
Smitty250
Full Fledged Farker

I just bought a bag of it yesterday to use this weekend at a comp in Chandler, AZ. I used it for a bed of coals in my FAT 40 then just add wood as needed. Thanks for the review.

-Smitty
Smitty250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken, Chicken leg quarters, chicken wings, leg quarters, wings