MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #16
Mrhdvrod
Knows what a fatty is.

Have not run the basket full, it comes with 2 dividers so you can divide the basket on the horizontal or verticle axis creating hot and cool zones. Ive divided both ways depending on what I’m cooking. The horizontal divide in the middle allows for a half sheet pan on the left side (fits very very tight) to catch drippings on the cool side. Going verticle I’ve used the Weber gasser grease pans lined up to catch drippings. Haven’t used minion method I just fill the basket and light with the torch, but I really use my PK as a grill not a smoker so longest cooking item I’ve done is Tri-Tip. The primary reason I like the basket is it allows for great airflow which gives faster and higher overall temps when doing a steak. It also keeps the coals condensed allowing for easier cleanup later. I tried the charcoal basket from PK and the holes are too small so I had a hard time getting to higher temps and I found with briquettes that the ash filled the holes quickly making it very frustrating.
Mrhdvrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 02-21-2019, 11:45 AM   #17
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah I tried the pk basket and found it just about useless.

Old 02-21-2019, 08:34 PM   #18
Tioga
On the road to being a farker

I gotta get a PK 360. Gotta get a PK 360!
Tioga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2019, 10:09 PM   #19
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

My longest cook on my 360 was two racks of ribs that took about 5.5 hours at about 250. I used the PK charcoal basket minion method and the coals would have probably lasted the entire cook but I added a few more unlit about 5 hrs in just to make sure. I also cut the ribs in half and used the PK rib rack.

I also have two 360's and one classic and to me the 360 is well worth it over the classic.

Old 02-22-2019, 12:48 AM   #20
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70monte View Post
My longest cook on my 360 was two racks of ribs that took about 5.5 hours at about 250. I used the PK charcoal basket minion method and the coals would have probably lasted the entire cook but I added a few more unlit about 5 hrs in just to make sure. I also cut the ribs in half and used the PK rib rack.

I also have two 360's and one classic and to me the 360 is well worth it over the classic.
You’re the first person I’ve talked to that appreciated the pk basket. How did you set it up for the minion method?

Old 02-22-2019, 04:31 AM   #21
OldGlory
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Eric

How are you lighting it?
Chimney with Weber fire starter cubes and BBQ Dragon.

What fuel are you using?

Fogo lump or Weber briquettes

What is your clean out practice?
Whisk Broom into metal buckethanging off back. Shop vac every once in a while to get really clean.

What accessories have you found useful? What accessories have not been useful?

I bought the PK basket and as others have found out the holes are too small and there is not enough airflow. BBQ Dragon is great. I use it to start the chimney and then after the indirect phase of the reverse sear method I use the Dragon to stoke the fire and get super hot for the sear.

Have not done long cooks on it yet. Mostly reverse sear steaks, Tri-Tips, and chops, and indirect cooks of chicken.

Love it!

Old 02-22-2019, 02:06 PM   #22
70monte
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coat View Post
You’re the first person I’ve talked to that appreciated the pk basket. How did you set it up for the minion method?
I've never had the problems with the PK basket that other claim to have so I don't know.

For minion method, I filled the basket with unlit briquettes and then added I think about 10-15 lit briquettes in the upper right corner of the basket and adjusted my vents until the gauge read about 250.

Old 02-24-2019, 08:22 AM   #23
BigGB
Got rid of the matchlight.

The basket(s) are half the size of the grill width wise and 4 inches tall. I just stack it with enough to get job done. I use one for indirect cooking. Never timed it since I can add. I run temps anywhere from 250 to 325. Higher temps if I use lump. I use two baskets for whole grill space for direct cooking. They hold a lot more than PK holders. For shorter cooks full space direct cooking I use a 1/2 sheet perforated aluminum cookie pan with briquettes only (no lump due to high heat can melt pan). Add wood chunks as needed to all cooks. Makes clean up easier. I could use minion method I suspect but never have on PK. I try to keep it simple. Hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #24
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

I have found that I can do about 3 hours without any basket at around 275-300. The PK seems to like to run about 225 or 300 so for most of my long cooks, I let it go at 300. I light it without any chimney. I just put a starter cube into the grill and let it burn off. by the time it's done, the grill is ready to cook for indirect. If direct, a few more minutes are needed. I don't like to mess with a chimney bc some of the embers inevitably get onto my side tables. burned it day one!
considering the after market charcoal tray available on Facebook, bc i'm thinking it may be possible to get a burn time closer to 5-6 hours, which would almost always be an entire cook for me on the PK.
i also like to scatter coals across the entire charcoal grate and then use the cookmore grid. great for spatchcock chicken.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #25
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Running the digiq with my 360 today. Filled the area below the hinged grate with B and B briquettes. Been runnng between 4.5-5 hours at 235, and it’s only ignited (not consumed yet) half the coals. I have a feeling it may still be running 235 when I wake up at 5am. That would be 13 hours which is Crazy. These cookers are amazing.

Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #26
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

https://www.facebook.com/theburnshop...type=3&sfns=mo

Old 03-11-2019, 09:04 PM   #27
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
Nice! Do you know this guy? Looks like pretty good quality.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #28
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

No. Don't know them. Just see their work on social media. They do custom grates. I'm 250 mi from Wichita Falls

Old 03-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #29
dshaffes
Knows what a fatty is.

What do you use for drip pan in PK360? I've used tin foil but it seems to alter airflow on my low 'n slow cook. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
dshaffes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-12-2019, 05:23 AM   #30
Coat
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshaffes View Post
What do you use for drip pan in PK360? I've used tin foil but it seems to alter airflow on my low 'n slow cook. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I use a half hotel pan. I haven’t had an airflow issue. I only put it under the meat, and there’s a little overhang but I just put up with that.