MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-23-2019, 05:05 PM   #31
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

I ordered the workhorse 1975 on Wednesday, scheduled to ship February 21st. I will definitely post some pics and maybe a walk around video. Super excited!

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-23-2019, 06:04 PM   #32
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneleven View Post
I ordered the workhorse 1975 on Wednesday, scheduled to ship February 21st. I will definitely post some pics and maybe a walk around video. Super excited!
Congrats! I'm debating one myself though, I'm hoping Evie Mae becomes an option again.

Old 11-23-2019, 07:46 PM   #33
Dustin Dorsey
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepheneleven View Post
I'll be waiting anxiously to see what you think.
Dustin Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2019, 08:52 AM   #34
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dustin Dorsey View Post
I'll be waiting anxiously to see what you think.

Me also
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-24-2019, 09:04 AM   #35
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbandcra View Post

However, I would bet Workhorse has 120 years of skill on display. I'd seriously encourage you to go visit before spreading such BS. You'd see those guys aren't what you have painted them to be in your poor attempt to discredit them. If by chance you are their jealous competitor, shame on you for the trash comment on Saturday. We that saw it, see jealous bullies, not BBQ pit builders.
Thanks for posting this. This happens a lot here. People with no clue come on and bash a product because they haven't used it or were not competent enough to use it and then that impacts others. Thanks a lot for the detailed information.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-28-2019, 08:53 PM   #36
big.green.paul
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Name/Nickname : Paul

I ordered a 1975 from Workhorse Pits. Should get January 21st. Can’t wait!
big.green.paul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-25-2019, 10:37 AM   #37
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6gGVxIh...=1kbfybmx7ywru

Welds don’t look half bad.

Old 12-25-2019, 03:11 PM   #38
Swine Spectator
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : David

To the OP:

I am late to the party here. I am not a welder and cannot speak to the quality of the welds. I dislike pitbuilders throwing darts at each other. Having owned and cooked on multiple pits, I will comment of the design. The workhorse appears to be patterned after the design in Aaron Franklin's book. I have two concerns with this particular interpretation:
1. The firebox damper appears small to me. I would expect a larger opening to allow more control. I would definitely want real-world feedback from actual users.
2. The second shelf appears to be mounted too high in the pit. In the pictures it looks like you would not be able to fit a brisket or butt on the upper shelf. Additionally, the proximity to the "roof" may cause items on the upper shelf to over cook.

I wouldn't say "no" outright, but I would look for more real-world reviews before I broke out my wallet.

David
The Swine Spectator.

- "There's nothing magical about 225°, except waking up earlier and eating later." - DaveAlvarado
- "You talk about burning lots of wood like it’s a bad thing..." - Gimmethecash
Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller!
Swine Spectator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2019, 09:26 AM   #39
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

Workhorse is newer to the game but, when I spoke to them they were doing some 'enhancements' that were very interesting.

Now that I have a Shirley, I'm not really in that market space anymore but, for the 'price', they seemed to offer a really good 'value'. There are cheaper pits and more expensive pits but, they seem to have a 'sweet spot' of quality versus price in their products.

Now add the Primitive Pits experience and the expectations of local customers and, I'd be surprised if it wasn't a great smoking pit for people like most of us.

On the marketing side of things, I'm a little skeptical. Thread crapping doesn't work for me and, 3/8ths vs. 5/16ths? It's not almost 3/8ths if it is really much closer to 5/16ths? More than a 1/4" sure but, lets get real, be honest with steel thickness instead of Instagram/Facebook/etc. marketing buzz which is misleading.

Old 12-26-2019, 10:30 AM   #40
Lynn Dollar
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : A man named Lynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swine Spectator View Post
To the OP:

I am late to the party here. I am not a welder and cannot speak to the quality of the welds. I dislike pitbuilders throwing darts at each other. Having owned and cooked on multiple pits, I will comment of the design. The workhorse appears to be patterned after the design in Aaron Franklin's book. I have two concerns with this particular interpretation:
1. The firebox damper appears small to me. .
2. The second shelf appears to be mounted too high in the pit.

I wouldn't say "no" outright, but I would look for more real-world reviews before I broke out my wallet.

David
The Swine Spectator.

Neither issue is important to me. I will use the door in place of the damper, most of the time.

And the second shelf just gets in the way. Its optional with Workhorse and I would opt out.

I only wish this company was in easier driving range, so I could pick it up and save shipping.
Lynn Dollar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-26-2019, 01:02 PM   #41
stepheneleven
Full Fledged Farker

https://www.instagram.com/p/B3cWCRpB...=17x2zozoqtt8g

Someone asked about the top grate placement in this comment section. He said that the picture does make it look too high but that in reality, there is 6.5 inch clearance between the grate and the top of the cooker.

As for the door intake, like others have said I will just use the door and would rather not even have the pinwheel.

Old 12-31-2019, 10:48 PM   #42
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Seem like a good looking pit to me. How long are they out...2 months or so?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2020, 10:02 AM   #43
Sid Post
is One Chatty Farker

With the Chrismas/New Year slowdown, I'm not really sure how things might change regarding backlogs.

Workhorse pits is still probably in the 2 to 3 month range. Primitive Pits has two time frames, one for urgent deliveries which I guess are commercial deliveries and a second list for others. The second list was ~11 months out when I checked back in November.

Workhorse Pits are undergoing some enhancements so, delivery time-frames may be changing. I also had the impression they might be trying to add some welders so, delays may or may not be changing for better or worse.

With popular builders with long lead times like (no offense intended and just a few examples out of many good pit builders) Moberg, Shirley Fabrication, Evie Mae, etc., I'd be pretty reserved committing my money and waiting for their product to built.

Why? I sold custom knives, ordered a few, and sold custom 1911's. First, there is the customer that doesn't have their new 'toy' for two or three years and might die or have a serious medical issue that won't let them enjoy their new acquisition when it arrives. Then there is the maker who might die, have a wife come down with cancer, have a stroke, etc. as well. I had a custom knifemaker die during the process of making my first truly custom knife, personal first-hand experience here. Customers get divorced, die, lose their job, have children, etc. and for unforeseen reasons can't take delivery too. If you want that custom 1911, knife or, pit, be sure you will be available to take delivery and enjoy it before committing to the order! If it is a long way out, what will 'pinch hit' until then?

This is a major part of the reason I didn't wait on an Evie Mae pit. My second option would have been a custom Shirley Fabrication but, again with a ~3-year delay, am I willing to wait? In the end, I picked up a SF on the secondary market with a modest drive to get it and, was ready to smoke a few days later. Now, I'm in a much better position to wait 1, 2 or, 3 years for my 'dream' pit to be built if I ever do commission something with a very long lead time in the future.

Old 01-10-2020, 11:46 PM   #44
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Ordered a 1975 from Workhorse tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 01-11-2020, 05:45 AM   #45
gtsum
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
Ordered a 1975 from Workhorse tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice! Are you going with raw finish or the powder coated? What’s approximate lead time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote