MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2020, 09:59 AM   #31
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetHeatBBQnSC View Post
Question for y'all. I have been reading the pellet thread and have seen everyone talking about having to clean by vacuuming out ash. This sounds like a lot of work. Didn't I hear that Weber did something with the smokefire so this won't be necessary? Did I imagine this? Thanks.

The bottom of their fire pot is slotted to allow approx 70% of the ash to fall through into a catch pan. Great idea if it works :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-28-2020, 10:13 AM   #32
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwalters View Post
The bottom of their fire pot is slotted to allow approx 70% of the ash to fall through into a catch pan. Great idea if it works :)
I can tell from all your posts I've read that you are knowledgeable about pellet grills, is this something you are skeptical about for a particular reason? Or just taking a wait and see approach?
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2020, 10:49 AM   #33
rwalters

Quote:
I can tell from all your posts I've read that you are knowledgeable about pellet grills, is this something you are skeptical about for a particular reason? Or just taking a wait and see approach?
In theory, the idea is brilliant. I do know that MAK Grills has tried this in testing and found it not to work, thus the feature has never been released into production by MAK Grills. Pellet ash is kind of like snow as the fan blows it around... in the sense that it falls and sticks, and then starts to accumulate. As it starts to sticks to the "slats" at the bottom of the fire pot, it quickly builds to the point that it blocks the openings. MAK Grills even tried welding round bars to the bottom of the fire pot to see if perhaps the ash would slide off. Made no difference. After multiple attempts they decided that although it's a great idea, it just doesn't seem to work. Perhaps Weber has found the secret to getting ash to not stick... and if so, kudos to them as that would be an awesome feature. I'd love to see it work and then see other pellet grill manufacturers follow suit :)

Last edited by rwalters; 01-28-2020 at 10:54 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-28-2020, 11:03 AM   #34
tenpenny_05
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Question for y'all. I have been reading the pellet thread and have seen everyone talking about having to clean by vacuuming out ash. This sounds like a lot of work.
Its not ideal, but its not terrible. The only thing that makes it bad is having to handle the often dirty/greasy heat deflector. But once that is out its a quick vacuum then done.

Like my previous reply, my biggest gripe about pellet cookers is cleaning. All the convenience of easy cooking is almost overshadowed by having to deep clean it fairly often. I like keeping my cookers tip top, so maybe I'm a little picky on the matter.

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-28-2020, 11:06 AM   #35
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenpenny_05 View Post
Its not ideal, but its not terrible. The only thing that makes it bad is having to handle the often dirty/greasy heat deflector. But once that is out its a quick vacuum then done.

Like my previous reply, my biggest gripe about pellet cookers is cleaning. All the convenience of easy cooking is almost overshadowed by having to deep clean it fairly often. I like keeping my cookers tip top, so maybe I'm a little picky on the matter.
So do you think the smokefire will be easier to clean than current pellet grills? Which pellet grills now are the easiest to clean?
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle

Old 01-28-2020, 11:22 AM   #36
rwalters

Default To Weber Smokefire or not to Smokefire

Quote:
So do you think the smokefire will be easier to clean than current pellet grills? Which pellet grills now are the easiest to clean?

I know the question wasn’t addressed to me, but I’ll offer my 2 cents anyway... lol. There is no such thing as a self-cleaning pellet grill. They all require a bit of effort to keep tidy inside. If your definition of clean is shiny metal, a pellet grill will drive you bonkers. If a good quick scrape down and dumping of ashes is good, then I think you’ll be fine once you get a cleaning rhythm down. For me, one of the things I love about MAK is how easily things break down and also that the fire pot is removable (remove/dump/replace). Any pellet grill that doesn’t require a shop vac is a plus IMO :)

Regarding the Weber Smokefire, I look at it much like the Genesis I used to have. You still need to break things down and give it a good scrape down on a regular basis if you want to keep things working/tasting right... and not have a grease fire.

Old 01-28-2020, 11:33 AM   #37
rwalters

Quote:
I know the question wasn’t addressed to me, but I’ll offer my 2 cents anyway... lol. There is no such thing as a self-cleaning pellet grill. They all require a bit of effort to keep tidy inside. If your definition of clean is shiny metal, a pellet grill will drive you bonkers. If a good quick scrape down and dumping of ashes is good, then I think you’ll be fine once you get a cleaning rhythm down. For me, one of the things I love about MAK is how easily things break down and also that the fire pot is removable (remove/dump/replace). Any pellet grill that doesn’t require a shop vac is a plus IMO :)

Regarding the Weber Smokefire, I look at it much like the Genesis I used to have. You still need to break things down and give it a good scrape down on a regular basis if you want to keep things working/tasting right... and not have a grease fire.

The only grill type that I have ever had that I rarely had to clean was the ceramic kamados. They are pretty much self-cleaning. I loved that about them. That said, there was more I didn’t like so the self-cleaning advantage was kind of overshadowed :(

Old 01-29-2020, 02:50 PM   #38
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Well you folks have spent more of my money again (or actually Weber gets most of the credit).

Order placed today on the EX6 . Guy said shipping 1st week of Feb and they'll call to confirm the actual shipping date/arrival which is nice to make sure I'll know when to be home and have my squirrels/pig heads/cow head/whole donkey ready to throw on and season it with

Old 01-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #39
rwalters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
Well you folks have spent more of my money again (or actually Weber gets most of the credit).

Order placed today on the EX6 . Guy said shipping 1st week of Feb and they'll call to confirm the actual shipping date/arrival which is nice to make sure I'll know when to be home and have my squirrels/pig heads/cow head/whole donkey ready to throw on and season it with

Many of us have the “sickness”... but you my friend should seriously be in the intensive care unit with a whole-lotta tubes coming and going from you... lol [emoji15][emoji12]

What I meant to say was CONGRATS and can’t wait to see and hear more from you [emoji1306]

Old 01-29-2020, 03:09 PM   #40
tenpenny_05
Full Fledged Farker

Just a heads up to everybody looking at pre-ordering a smokefire. If you get on bbqguys.com and talk to one of their chat representatives they will likely hook you up with a package deal if you ask for it. I asked for a quote on a smokefire with a cover and two bags of pellets and they changed the price to make the cover and pellets free.

Old 01-29-2020, 03:52 PM   #41
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Many of us have the “sickness”... but you my friend should seriously be in the intensive care unit with a whole-lotta tubes coming and going from you... lol [emoji15][emoji12]

What I meant to say was CONGRATS and can’t wait to see and hear more from you [emoji1306]
Having the truth pointed out to me directly makes me uncomfortable..........

My initial plan is to doing the first run big and possibly a direct cook against my Shirley just for giggles . Run the main meats and see what happens

Harry Soo mentioned having true stick burner flavor on a brisket and that is hard to believe, but maybe Webers design is different.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:10 PM   #42
JiveTurkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JT

Congrats Jason. I'll be watching your posts like a hawk!
JiveTurkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-29-2020, 05:41 PM   #43
luv2smoke
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post

Harry Soo mentioned having true stick burner flavor on a brisket and that is hard to believe, but maybe Webers design is different.
No disrespect to Harry Soo but I believe he has a vested interest in Weber and Weber has a vested interest in Harry Soo.
Not sure if the product truly sucked or it was just so so Harry Soo would be too forthcoming?

Old 01-30-2020, 09:01 AM   #44
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2smoke View Post
No disrespect to Harry Soo but I believe he has a vested interest in Weber and Weber has a vested interest in Harry Soo.
Not sure if the product truly sucked or it was just so so Harry Soo would be too forthcoming?
Very good point. I love Weber products and hope this is 100% the case, but I may have to get the word from another source to confirm.
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle

Old 01-30-2020, 10:48 AM   #45
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Well only having eaten food from 2 pellet smokers and both were same brand I don't know how the smoke flavor would change if using same pellets same temps, now the grilling part sounds great and maybe cut down on needing another grill be it gas or charcoal. Time will tell the story when they have been out awhile. The pitboss is still running great so looking at the MBLT 560 next lol.