Northeast Steak Tips (not tri-tip) processing

captjoe06

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
A little youtube video I put together showing how I process them-
https://northeastbbq.com/2020/01/28/how-to-process-steak-tips-not-tri-tip-for-marinating-and-what-is-a-northeast-steak-tip-video/

Here is a great article from Serious Eats explaining just what part of the cow a steak tip comes from. It’s also referred to as Flap meat. It’s inexpensive, super flavorful and with just a little preparation they are crowd favorites for short money. Think Superbowl Party.

img_5265.jpg

img_5266.jpg

img_5285.jpg

My local butcher's shop sells the tips already cut into cubes and vacuum sealed in various marinades. I love these and always buy several packs of them when I go there. There's an occasional piece that is a little stringy, but that may just be due to not getting it cut correctly after cooking it.

My local butcher's shop sells the tips already cut into cubes and vacuum sealed in various marinades. I love these and always buy several packs of them when I go there. There's an occasional piece that is a little stringy, but that may just be due to not getting it cut correctly after cooking it.

They can be great. I'm always suspect that those are the cuts that are about to get old.

My buddy that owns a restaurant explained how cheap per lb marinades were and always said how these butcher shops that charge $12-$15 lb for bags of meat that are 25% marinades when the marinades per lb end up costing like .50 cents, that you were better off buying the cuts and marinating them yourself.

Back