My vertical chicken experiment

Old dude BBQ

Got Wood.
Reaction score
So Pit Barrel Cooker chicken is all the rage and I really want one (also a stick burner, a gravity flow cabinet smoker and a Good One Open Range) – that said, I already have three grills and convincing the wife is not an option (yet).
So I picked up a few steel hooks from amazon for my WSM and stopped by the HEB for a whole chicken.
Cooking notes:
fuel: Kingsford competition charcoal with pecan and mesquite.
smoker settings: bottom vents full open, top closed. water pan removed.
cook temps: 320-340
cook time: about 90 minutes
internal breast temperature was 160 – rested to 165.
special note: I popped the thigh bones out of the hip sockets to facilitate cooking of the legs (legs should be cooked to about 175).
**skin was not crisp but had good taste**
Overall this was a juicy, flavorful bird and one of the best I’ve ever cooked.

Attachments

• DSC_0387-1.jpg
    DSC_0387-1.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 305
Nice looking chicken, but I agree with Peeps, you had the top vent closed? Seems like there would be a lot of stale smoke around the chicken.

FYI, Weber sells a hanging rack for fish and chicken. Here is the link for the 18.5 model. I have the model for the 22.5 but haven't tried it yet. Soon, as the wife wants me to smoke some squid.

What part of SA are you in? I am in the NW part of town. Might have to trade smoke signals... :wink:

Nice looking chicken, but I agree with Peeps, you had the top vent closed? Seems like there would be a lot of stale smoke around the chicken.

FYI, Weber sells a hanging rack for fish and chicken. Here is the link for the 18.5 model. I have the model for the 22.5 but haven't tried it yet. Soon, as the wife wants me to smoke some squid.

What part of SA are you in? I am in the NW part of town. Might have to trade smoke signals... :wink:

Top vent was closed - wanted to eliminate any flare ups ... I am about 4 miles north of Stone Oak off 281. We should do a joint "throw down" project one weekend ...

I have a couple of rods in my UDS and have been hanging a dozen quarters in there. No flareups even with all vents wide open.

Top vent was closed - wanted to eliminate any flare ups ...

Yeah, you are high enough above the coals, I don't think I would worry about flame ups. What size WSM do you have? I have the 22.5.

I am about 4 miles north of Stone Oak off 281. We should do a joint "throw down" project one weekend...
I replied to your PM. Looks like we're about 25 miles apart. Might have to find a time / place to meet in the middle.

I also use the expandable rack and PBC hooks in my 22.5 WSM. Works great. WSM is awesome and offers a variety of cooking methods: water, no water, dry pan, no pan, hanging racks..... water smoker; drum smoker; PBC and can be used to just grill.

Looks better than commercial rotisserie birds. Did you apply any seasoning before cooking?

Back