• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Why brisket is overrated

el luchador

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Yes, many dislike cooking brisket, few will admit it.

1. Brisket is a damn bland piece of meat. Good luck getting it seasoned without an injection of salt and msg. Of course some people are ok with little to no flavor and if that's you then maybe it's not bland to you.

2. Packers nowadays have ultra thin flats that dry out before the fatty points have rendered. Fail on both

3. Barbecue is making tough, cheap meats delicious, or for brisket you have WAGYU!

4. Watch almost any video of smoked brisket. It's set in smoke for a little bit and then braised in foil in the smoker (or oven) to do the real cooking.

5. There are so many more delicious cuts of meat to smoke, why waste time with brisket? Ribs rule, pulled pork is great but I see people struggling and failing with brisket all the time like it's a rite of passage.

Hey, it's ok if you don't like brisket.

As usual, this is my opinion and ymmv.

Oh something I forgot.

Brisket is the only BBQ meat I know where you have to pray for a good packer. With ribs, sausage or shoulder, just get a pack and go. Choosing your brisket is like a dark art. It has to fold just so, the marbling has to be this much, measure the flat to make sure it's yea thick, and then let it wet age for more than 42 but less than 45 days at 33 to 34 degrees and if it stinks when you pull it out throw it out and start over.

I exaggerate but you get my point

You just suck at cooking brisket. Weren't you the one that got your panties wet over some brisket "active hold?"

Wait! Wife let you out to troll again? You were on time out for a while. GTFO bruh!

Maybe you need to eat some of the Brisket I have .Grass fed.
Your post suggests you cannot BBQ decent Brisket , nor can those Around You.
Or the other Q you taste and serve is so Divine, your making Brisket Obsolete.
:thumb:

Grass fed WAGYU ftw!

Brisket is awesome. Its very difficult to get right. No doubt. I got a second place brisket call with a select at an unsanctioned comp against at least one prime. Foil is a tool. Prep is key for a good brisket. It starts with the kill date. Wet age it my friend. You will be amazed at the difference. 30 days from the kill date. Any more and its too tender when cooked imo. I believe you can go 60 days but its not good just safe.

If you have tried wet aging maybe its just not your cup of tea. Nothing wrong with that. Cook what you love and enjoy it. As long as you like smoked meat your alright in my book. Have you tried Smokin' Hoggz Rub? Bill Gillespie has a great recipe in his book. Sauce is darn good too. I can link a copy of his book if you like. If you try it and don't like it then it really isn't for you. That is ok if its not.

Smoke on!

Luchador is back(for more)? Been a while- hope you enjoy your stay.

I don't think brisket is over rated. Salt, pepper and beef is a pretty outstanding combo.

I do think it's over thought and played off as being more difficult than it actually is.

https://www.amazon.com/Secrets-Smok...ets+of+smoking+with+the+weber+smokey+mountain

Here is a link to get the book. Try it. If you don't like brisket this way I would say forget it. If you get it let me know how it goes. The rub and sauce recipes are worth getting the book for. So you won't lose out as its great with pork too.

Flats have been thin lately. Leave the fat cap on but trim it off the point. Trim the fat cap off the flat after cooking. Its to keep your flat from being over cooked.

I pretty much only picture this when I see these types of posts. So cute!! :baby:

Z5GEawvl.jpg

Well, this is what makes horse races.

I like brisket. A lot. The first time I had good smoked brisket (In Texas, of course) I knew I had found a culinary promised land. Still feel that way.

I enjoy cooking it. It's a process. The hardest thing about it is patience. I go naked throughout and probably give it more smoke than many but ....

that's the way
uh huh uh huh
I like it
uh huh uh huh

You know what they say about opinions...

Simple fact is the vast majority of BBQ people think properly cooked brisket is a phenomenal piece of meat to eat. If this were not true one would not see so much written and referenced about the art of the brisket.

Aaron Franklin pretty much became a super star because of this one cut of meat.

And as for my opinion … you eat the perfectly cooked and prepared brisket burnt end and it is an experience akin to eating dry aged ribeye … a special culinary moment.

I’ve failed at brisket at the beginning but I can do it perfect now even with cheaper ones. Just takes practice. If you are on a budget chuck roast can be a good alternative. The biggest thing that helped me were active holds and resting. It’s definitely not as forgiving as a pork butt but once you got a process down it’s very repeatable.

Back