The Official Pellet Grill Smoker thread.

No first hand experience, but I have spoken to a few guys that have cooked on both Yoders and Pitts and Spitts. All have said that the direct grilling experience was much better on the Yoder. Not that the Pitts can’t sear, but the Yoder is just set up better for this task.

Yeah It seems that way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=G2KCfzsO3So

I found a reverse sear vid. Does a respectable job still though considering how little time there was between flips

First cook on the new Mak 1 Star. Sorry no pics.
There is definitely a learning curve when going to a pellet grill after using a charcoal grill. Todays first cook consisted of bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños, cajun chicken sausage, boudin, homemade Mac and cheese and grilled/smoked chicken. In the end everything came out really good. After playing with temps and the flame zone, the chicken came out very moist with almost crispy bite thru skin. I am happy with the outcome and look forward to getting more practice on the new grill.

First cook on the new Mak 1 Star. Sorry no pics.
There is definitely a learning curve when going to a pellet grill after using a charcoal grill. Todays first cook consisted of bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeños, cajun chicken sausage, boudin, homemade Mac and cheese and grilled/smoked chicken. In the end everything came out really good. After playing with temps and the flame zone, the chicken came out very moist with almost crispy bite thru skin. I am happy with the outcome and look forward to getting more practice on the new grill.

Yep, as with any new cooker...gotta learn it [emoji4]

Once you get a handle on the MAK (shouldn’t take long), you are in for some easy/delicious cooking! I think there is also a transition for many people as far as flavor when moving from charcoal to pellets. I have come to absolutely love the flavor of pellet cooked food [emoji39]

Oh yeah, and as you already mentioned, the moisture!!!

Once you get a handle on the MAK (shouldn’t take long), you are in for some easy/delicious cooking! I think there is also a transition for many people as far as flavor when moving from charcoal to pellets. I have come to absolutely love the flavor of pellet cooked food [emoji39]

Yep I’m a total pellet convert now. Which kinda sucks since they’re pretty much the most expensive cooker per sq inch. Why can’t I be a kettle head instead lol

Yes a definite difference in the flavor profile, but in a good way. Everyone liked the taste.

Today I join your ranks.....it’s MAK Monday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

661260e26b2f58b03bdd748c01e88573.jpg
3362fc1f0efe032e1949f54b9a9871c0.jpg
a7e367f774a639a6b34325433cd8a344.jpg
74c3123e9128d91775e30b13631c1f08.jpg
5302702dd7b8e04499d6ebf3dca0d529.jpg
85af321b49ce973512824c2d6f848ea6.jpg
5a841c22a83cfed28da328a5b877d746.jpg

This might be the best Made in USA product I’ve ever owned. Even the included tools were made here. The hardware, construction, grates, all exceeded my expectations. I’m soooo glad I didn’t go with RecTec. Doing the burn in now.

This might be the best Made in USA product I’ve ever owned. Even the included tools were made here. The hardware, construction, grates, all exceeded my expectations. I’m soooo glad I didn’t go with RecTec. Doing the burn in now.

Congrats buddy! You are in for many many years of fantastic eats from that smokin’ machine :)

That is a sweet rig.

I posted another thread but I got a buddy who is working on buying a GMG right now. With Black Friday pricing his Jim Bowie WiFi will only be $100 more than I paid for my lil Tex that was on clearance at Ace for Father’s Day

Oh.... yes one person can assemble the 1 Star alone relatively easily. Just make sure you lock the casters before you attempt to lift it upright or you might...ummm....go for a little ride into your other smoker.

Last edited:
Oh.... yes one person can install the 1 Star by himself relatively easily. Just make sure you lock the casters before you attempt to lift it upright or you might...ummm....go for a little ride into your other smoker.

Congrats, they are impressive

Hello,

Long time follower of this site and I appreciate all the valuable information that is provided.

I have read quite a bit on this site and others and have narrowed my choices down to 3 or 4. The Rec Tec Stampede, GMG Jim Bowie, Yoder 640 or a MAK 1 star. I didn't know much about the Mak before reading on this site.

The main reason for the GMG is due to the wifi as well as the black Friday special that is running. The Rec Tec seems to be a better smoker than the GMG, but with the understanding that both are imports. Of the two which one would be a better value?

I have also looked at the Yoder's and am impressed with the quality, with the drawback that it doesn't have a wifi enabled controller. The MAK looks nice, but seems very small in comparison and not as well built.

I know these had been debated at nauseum but would appreciate any insight to consider before making a purchase.

Mak and Yoder are far and away better built cookers than the other 2 if that matters to you?

Hello,

Long time follower of this site and I appreciate all the valuable information that is provided.

I have read quite a bit on this site and others and have narrowed my choices down to 3 or 4. The Rec Tec Stampede, GMG Jim Bowie, Yoder 640 or a MAK 1 star. I didn't know much about the Mak before reading on this site.

The main reason for the GMG is due to the wifi as well as the black Friday special that is running. The Rec Tec seems to be a better smoker than the GMG, but with the understanding that both are imports. Of the two which one would be a better value?

I have also looked at the Yoder's and am impressed with the quality, with the drawback that it doesn't have a wifi enabled controller. The MAK looks nice, but seems very small in comparison and not as well built. Several people on here have bought the Smoke Daddy recently, and it seems like a well priced unit. Also there is the Assassin, and Blazin Grill Works, Pitts and Spitts. I would probably consider any of those over rec tecc, but there are a lot of happy rec tec owners.

I know these had been debated at nauseum but would appreciate any insight to consider before making a purchase.

I love my Yoder, and can't imagine replacing it. Wifi was not important to me. After a year, I still don't feel the need for it. If I had wanted wifi, I would have bought a Mak. To me, Yoder and Mak are the cream of the crop, when it comes to pellet smokers. You can put Memphis in the list, if you are wanting a pellet grill. If it was down to Green Mountain, and Rec-tec, I would go Rec-Tec. Seen a lot of complaints about the larger GM's, and the Davy Crockett is too small from me. Several People on here have bought smoke daddy's lately, and they seem to be a well priced unit. You also have Assassin, Pitts and Spitts, and Blazin Grill Works. All of which I would consider over a rec-tec. There are a lot of happy rec tec owners though, so you will probably be happy with anything you choose.

I love my Yoder, and can't imagine replacing it. Wifi was not important to me. After a year, I still don't feel the need for it. If I had wanted wifi, I would have bought a Mak. To me, Yoder and Mak are the cream of the crop, when it comes to pellet smokers. You can put Memphis in the list, if you are wanting a pellet grill. If it was down to Green Mountain, and Rec-tec, I would go Rec-Tec. Seen a lot of complaints about the larger GM's, and the Davy Crockett is too small from me. Several People on here have bought smoke daddy's lately, and they seem to be a well priced unit. You also have Assassin, Pitts and Spitts, and Blazin Grill Works. All of which I would consider over a rec-tec. There are a lot of happy rec tec owners though, so you will probably be happy with anything you choose.

Thank you for the insight. I'd ideally like to stay below around $1,800 if possible. Do you use the grilling option on your Yoder and has that met your expectations?

Thank you for the insight. I'd ideally like to stay below around $1,800 if possible. Do you use the grilling option on your Yoder and has that met your expectations?

Yes, I don't grill much, but I use it for reverse sear regularly. It can certainly grill very well though. I think all the ones I mentioned were in your price range. Pitts and Spitts would be close. Smoke Daddy is well below your range. You need the optional 2 piece diffuser, to make it a great grill though.

Back