First attempt Tri-Tip

The only problem I had was reheating. When I went to eat the leftovers the next day I reheated in the oven at 200. Just to get it warm. Well, it ended up as a medium to medium well done piece of meat. Meat was all sliced up btw. Had to do that because the better half wanted some for lunch also.

Looks like you nailed it on the first try.
I don't trim as much, cook more like brisket.
The only thing missing is the the ABT stuffing:wink:
Or the green chile...

Thank you. I did dust it again before I put it back on the grill to sear. I may have to try the paste next time. Is it just EVOO and the seasoning?

I think what he’s talking about is the baste that the Hitching Post and other restaurants use down near Santa Maria (as seen on BBQ with Bobby Flay and some other shows). It’s a 50/50 mix of garlic infused EVOO and red wine vinegar. Flip and baste every 5 minutes or so. It adds another layer of flavor but not really necessary. Your tri-tip looks great as it is!

The only problem I had was reheating. When I went to eat the leftovers the next day I reheated in the oven at 200. Just to get it warm. Well, it ended up as a medium to medium well done piece of meat. Meat was all sliced up btw. Had to do that because the better half wanted some for lunch also.

Vacuum seal bag, placed in simmering water until warm! Helps keep it real moist.:loco:

Back