Horizontal Cooker: Internal Fire Box vs. External Fire Box (Off-set)

RayJayinTBay

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Christian
Lots of different smoker designs out there. When it comes to horizontal cookers, I have noticed two different schools of thought when it comes to the design of the firebox. Much less commonly used are the horizontal cookers that have internal fireboxes with a heat deflector plate and then there are the traditional off-set cookers that use the external firebox.

Does anyone of has anyone on here cooked on a horizontal cooker that had an internal firebox? If so, what did you think? Just guessing here but the pros seem to be better heat retention and better fuel efficiency. Cons would be reduced cook space in the cooker since the internal firebox would have to be positioned to one of the ends of the cooker and...

I am looking at building one to give it a try. Any thoughts on what you would do if you were designing one? Appreciate the recommendations.

The T-pits look interesting.

For space-constrained locations, I could see one of these working out well but, a classic offset will be easier to control the heat so things are even and don't spike as bad. Of course, with baffles and a separate firebox with draft tubes you could minimize this (sort of like a cold smoker with the firebox under the smoke house).

Just guessing here but the pros seem to be better heat retention and better fuel efficiency. Cons would be reduced cook space in the cooker since the internal firebox would have to be positioned to one of the ends of the cooker and...

Typically the fireboxes are underneath the cook chamber so, cook capacity shouldn't be affected.

In terms of fuel efficiency and heat, use thicker steel or an insulated firebox.

Re-inventing the wheel can be a fun boondoggle but, in the end you end up with the same wheel. Unless you have space constraints, I go traditional otherwise a T-pit seems obvious to me.

Very cool design and I have never seen one in person. I have an original Brinkmann Trailmaster 1/4" think cook chamber that I'm planning on using once I clean it up so I was thinking of using it to design something with.

that'd work, make sure you do the double reverse flow plate and center exhaust

yF736Dol.png

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259580

:heh:

Back