MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:38 PM   #16
CivilTrojan
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
I guess I found just the right amount of crack.
I think that’s what the plumber said last time he was at my house.
CivilTrojan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 11-30-2020, 06:31 AM   #17
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Nice

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper
BGE's
Shiz-Nit is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2020, 07:03 AM   #18
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
That looks great. Congrats on a successful bird!

I did three 8-9 lb breasts on my WSM 22.5 this year. I did them pretty much the same way you did. All charcoal, no wood (don't like smoke flavor on turkey). And I kept the lid cracked just a tiny bit, which worked well. Temp stayed between 330 and 350 most of the time, which resulted in great crispy skin. In the past I've had problems with the temp zooming out of control when I cracked the lid, but it didn't happen this time. I guess I found just the right amount of crack.

How did you guys manage to keep the temps down so good..I tired using my rotisserie on my WSM 22. Temps were good for awhile then they got away from me. This always happens when I use the rotisserie and have to open the lid.

Thanks DanB
PS I did use lump and no wood.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20201129_162804175.jpg (43.5 KB, 39 views)

Old 11-30-2020, 02:10 PM   #19
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

good looking bird
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #20
bigpernz
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
How did you guys manage to keep the temps down so good..I tired using my rotisserie on my WSM 22. Temps were good for awhile then they got away from me. This always happens when I use the rotisserie and have to open the lid.

Thanks DanB
Maybe your rotisserie ring just let's a lot of air in? I usually dont have trouble keeping mine in the 350 range and keeping it there but this time it was a struggle. I even had to add another chimney of lit coals halfway through which I've never done before. I did use some off brand charcoal (trail embers I think?) that had been in my garage forever so who knows..

Old 11-30-2020, 07:40 PM   #21
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Thanks DanB
I've had problems in the past with the temp getting away from me. This time I made sure I just barely cracked the lid. Maybe 1/8 inch or so. That seemed to do the trick.

I also didn't fully load the ring with charcoal. I put a little more than a chimney full of unlit KBB in and spread it evenly. Then I fired up a full chimney and scattered that evenly on top. That seemed to be about the right amount. The temp held fairly steady throughout the cook, then started to trail off a little right about the time I took the meat off. I had very little charcoal left over.

I let it run with all the daisy wheels wide open, but with the lid fully seated, until the smoke cleared up. That took about 45 minutes and had me up to about 305 by the time I put the meat on. I cracked the lid when I put the meat on, and the temp slowly rose to 330 - 350 and stayed in that range for the rest of the 2 1/2 hr cook.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-01-2020, 01:41 AM   #22
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:

Thanks DanB

Not trying to hijack the OP's Beautiful bird but to DanB If your lookin', you ain't cookin'.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2020, 09:33 AM   #23
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Hapgood View Post
Not trying to hijack the OP's Beautiful bird but to DanB If your lookin', you ain't cookin'.

Hi Then how will I know when it is done? The turkey was a rotisserie so I had to check temps in order do so I had to open the lid.
DanB