Whole hog rotisserie opinions please

halfcocked

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I'm poised to buy the Charotis TSC 1 next week in time for the Christmas roast. https://www.charotis.com/model-tsc1.html
I've been struggling with this since I gave up and sold my caja china. I have a plan in mind to build a platform for the coals and wind brake at minimal cost. Main thing is I want the unit to be storable with minimum space requirement and be transportable with ease. This is why I do not intend to get the unit with a table/tray for coals and wind break. Anyone have experience with this company? I like the heavy duty motor and the lifetime guarantee on it. Any ops. are welcomed and appreciated.

ux7QM5q.jpg

I know a guy with a single covered model on his patio and have personally cooked on the double covered model that my buddy set-up on a trailer. You are correct in that the motors are heavy duty and the design of all the components is well thought out. Here is one hog on the double model, and some chickens we cooked after wrapping the hog.

YucgtMX.jpg

HtiZNX4.jpg

The covered unit has a lightweight shell and totally worth it, but I understand your thoughts on making a different style of charcoal bed and wind break. I can share that I've cooked a lot on an open old school rotisserie with great success, but the Charotis cover is a huge improvement. This pit has been spinning meat for 50 or 60 years, it's a pain to move and set-up because of all the fire brick in the charcoal bed, but when conditions are right it cooks beautifully.

StZW2x4.jpg

lW52ww5.jpg

I have a Spitjack & really like it. I have the XB-85 which I don't think is available anymore. I can keep it all stored in a large tote. No bargains to be had here, but the stuff is extremely well made and It'll probably outlast me. Plus if you call the company you'll most likely get the owner & he's more than happy to help - great customer service.

https://spitjack.com/collections/rotisserie-systems

I don't have any firsthand experience with Charotis, but I definitely like the looks of that system. Seems like a good price and that carry bag is pretty fantastic. It certainly would require less storage space than I need with mine.

I cook on fire bricks. The double face therm is great btw - small face gives ambient temp for fire, big face gives IT for pig.

picture.php

thanks for the responses guys. Other than the stainless part, the Charotis and Spitjack open fire setup appear to be the same (including the 40W motor). I'm ok with the galvanized steel stand on the Charotis for 200 less as I see it.
Check that; actually the difference is only 100. Now the only other difference is the lifetime warranty on the motor. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited:
thanks for the responses guys. Other than the stainless part, the Charotis and Spitjack open fire setup appear to be the same (including the 40W motor). I'm ok with the galvanized steel stand on the Charotis for 200 less as I see it.
Check that; actually the difference is only 100. Now the only other difference is the lifetime warranty on the motor. Decisions, decisions.

One other consideration between an open rotisserie and a covered one is charcoal consumption. I wish I had an accurate accounting of the weight of charcoal we burned when using each one, but the covered model is much more efficient. So over the long run charcoal will add up. One other thing my friend has done was rent his rotisserie for parties. He has recouped well over half of the original investment.

Back