MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-28-2020, 08:15 AM   #1
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy
Default Gobbler meet the RT 590

First time to try turkey on Fancy.Rubbed under the skin and on top with Dirty Bird and injected with Butter mixed with garlic and onion powder. Ran at 325-350* for 3 1/2 hours. Drizzled melted butter over the skin every 45 min. Rubbed the breasts with ice cubes before putting on. Bird cooked great, skin was fairly crispy. What was weird is the right breast cooked 20* cooler than the rest of the bird. Left breast was at 186* when the right breast hit 163*.
Thankfully the bird turned out very moist (both breasts), but the rub nor the injection give much added flavor. Also, didn't get any smoke so next time I will definitely run a little time on extreme smoke.
Any clue why one breast would cook so much slower?

Sent from my SM-A215U using Tapatalk
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2020, 08:24 AM   #2
Stingerhook
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marty

Looks great to me Joedy.

UDS now gone, WSM 18", WSM 22" and pellet pooper in the garage for 18 months now.
Stingerhook is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #3
Big George's BBQ

Name/Nickname : George

That looks great Check out the throw down
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2020, 09:02 AM   #4
jzadski
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Joe

Looks really good from here. Stinks it didn't meet all of your expectations. Breast temps, maybe one side wasn't totally thawed, was said breast up against a surface? I found brining either dry or wet does the most for flavor along with putting butter (seasoned or not) under and on top of the skin. For more smoke, I would add a smoking tube of some sort so you can keep the temp up. I have only smoked birds on my WSM and it can really impart smoke, cherry that is.

Old 11-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
ronbrad62

Name/Nickname : Ron

That is a great looking bird, and the only thing I can think of regarding the breasts cooking unevenly is placement in the cooker. Was one side of the breast farther away from the heat source or could the convection of heat been greater on one side than the other? Perhaps turning or repositioning the bird could have helped, like you would rotate food in a microwave if you don't have a turntable.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2020, 09:23 AM   #6
Whodat985
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Whodat985

Did you brine the turkey i find that makes a huge difference in final results of the cook. Think maybe one of you thermometer were pushed in either to far are one was touching the breast bone. I find that something throws off temp reading.
Whodat985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-28-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Tontotom
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Tom

I had a couple of similar issues with temperature differences on my RT 340 cooking a duck. I put temperature probes around the cooker to get a profile of the hot spots. Very informative for sure. The side away from the hopper was up to 100 degrees hotter than the hopper side where the controller temperature probe is located. Front side was cooler by 20 degrees from the back side.

Position of the drip pan changed the front to rear temperature but only rotating the meat would solve the right to left difference.
Tontotom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2020, 05:46 AM   #8
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

Try the Tony C's Creole Butter injecting next time, its very good, placement in smoker is the probable cause of a hotter breast, airflow is likely responsible, try flipping it around on the next cook 1/2 through, a 3 hour run at low temp high smoke is what I do, then into a cooking bag to finish in the oven. I could finish on the pit but after I get the smoke I want it don't matter where the BTU's come from

Old 11-29-2020, 07:38 AM   #9
kevinstaggs
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Looks like a great job on the bird. RE: your comments about flavor... it's jumbo yardbird, who cares. With the holidays gone you can get back to cooking real meats - the cow and the pig.
kevinstaggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2020, 08:21 AM   #10
rwalters
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Robb

Looks goooood!! Kinda frustrating when the parts of a turkey decide not to come up to temp together. Biggest reason I go spatchcock when doing birds. Much more even temps. As far as smoke, yeah... 325-350° won’t give you much smoke on a bird that big... but it will give you a moist bird. I am all about dry brining/injecting when it comes to big birds as most of my peeps don’t care for a heavy or even medium smoke profile on poultry. To each their own though :)
Come follow my adventures on Instagram: @rwaltersbbq
rwalters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2020, 06:29 AM   #11
Shiz-Nit
Babbling Farker

Looking good brother

Instagram - bluegrasssouthernsmokers

Deep South GC28
Forno Venetzia wood fired pizza oven
Weber Summit S-670 natural gasser
Traeger pellet pooper