MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 03-26-2021, 11:02 AM   #1
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Turkey question

Hi all. I'm going to compete in a turkey comp in a couple months and I'm a bit confused by the rules. This will be following the National Turkey Federation rules. My questions are: garnish or no garnish? The rules say something about contents being considered part of the entry to sample, and I wouldn't wish kale on anyone. Six samples or more? Thanks

Old 03-26-2021, 12:05 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is probably what you are talking about, it looks like a wide open entry.

All KCBS Master Series Rules and Regulations shall apply with the following exceptions:

A food thermometer shall be used to ensure a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 F has been reached.

Accompanying or complementary edible ingredients ARE allowed (e.g., mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, relish, fruits, vegetables, cheese, bread, etc.). If used, these shall be part of the individual serving portions and cannot be used as a container garnish.

Clearly identifiable toothpicks and skewers are also allowed.

Here are the full rules:

https://www.kcbs.us/turkey.php

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-26-2021, 12:57 PM   #3
BoneDaddy's
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
This is probably what you are talking about, it looks like a wide open entry.

All KCBS Master Series Rules and Regulations shall apply with the following exceptions:

A food thermometer shall be used to ensure a safe minimum internal temperature of 165 F has been reached.

Accompanying or complementary edible ingredients ARE allowed (e.g., mashed potatoes, dressing, gravy, relish, fruits, vegetables, cheese, bread, etc.). If used, these shall be part of the individual serving portions and cannot be used as a container garnish.

Clearly identifiable toothpicks and skewers are also allowed.

Here are the full rules:

https://www.kcbs.us/turkey.php

I doubt it is a KCBS event!

Old 03-26-2021, 01:44 PM   #4
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the link. I saw it, read it a couple times, and was left without much guidance. In reading the rules this last time, it looks like anything in the box is to be tasted - except toothpicks. The event is an ancillary contest at the Huron, SD, KCBS comp in June. I thought it would be fun to try.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-26-2021, 01:45 PM   #5
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Wayne: have you competed in one of these events? Any pictures of turn-in boxes you'd be willing to share?

Old 03-26-2021, 03:18 PM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by West River BBQ View Post
Wayne: have you competed in one of these events? Any pictures of turn-in boxes you'd be willing to share?
I figured you were going to the contest in Huron, which is still quite a drive. If you are a member of the BBQ League they have a Turkey Tell All but I have not watched it yet.

Yes, I entered one of The BBQ League virtual turkey competitions, in April or May. The requirement for using a turn in box was waived but I used an arrangement that could have easily fit into a typical box, and I had adequate amounts of pulled and sliced turkey. Scoring for appearance was straight forward from a photo. Taste and tenderness score came from a video, and taste was scored from a submitted recipe and description. My photo looked okay, but the lighting on my video was not up to snuff, that was my inexperience showing. I finished in the middle of the pack of 60 or 70 entries.

Anyways I injected the breast medallions and smoked them skinless, this works good because they looks like skin-on but have a good bite. I smoked the thighs with skin-on and finished in a butter/broth bath, then pulled some of that meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdlM5eSJVM

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 03-26-2021, 05:52 PM   #7
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

The box looks good and was helpful, as were the comments. Thank you. Maybe I'll catch up to you in Casper or Worland.

Old 03-27-2021, 03:42 PM   #8
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
I figured you were going to the contest in Huron, which is still quite a drive. If you are a member of the BBQ League they have a Turkey Tell All but I have not watched it yet.

Yes, I entered one of The BBQ League virtual turkey competitions, in April or May. The requirement for using a turn in box was waived but I used an arrangement that could have easily fit into a typical box, and I had adequate amounts of pulled and sliced turkey. Scoring for appearance was straight forward from a photo. Taste and tenderness score came from a video, and taste was scored from a submitted recipe and description. My photo looked okay, but the lighting on my video was not up to snuff, that was my inexperience showing. I finished in the middle of the pack of 60 or 70 entries.

Anyways I injected the breast medallions and smoked them skinless, this works good because they looks like skin-on but have a good bite. I smoked the thighs with skin-on and finished in a butter/broth bath, then pulled some of that meat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfdlM5eSJVM

Yes KCBS has aligned with the National Turkey Federation to sponsor ancillary meat contests within KCBS Master series contests. I believe there is a $25 entry fee and as the rule states, you may add goodies but they must be for each protein (6) not just a pile of mashed taters in the box.
And legal garnish is allowed.
If I was still cooking I'd be all over that!!
Nice entry 3rd (I'll just use your first name as we are close)!
Ed

I believe you know better than to stick a off cut slice in front.....
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 03-27-2021, 04:58 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post
Yes KCBS has aligned with the National Turkey Federation to sponsor ancillary meat contests within KCBS Master series contests. I believe there is a $25 entry fee and as the rule states, you may add goodies but they must be for each protein (6) not just a pile of mashed taters in the box.
And legal garnish is allowed.
If I was still cooking I'd be all over that!!
Nice entry 3rd (I'll just use your first name as we are close)!
Ed

I believe you know better than to stick a off cut slice in front.....
Thanks Ed.

It's funny how easy it is to miss flaws when you look at something, but take a photo of the same thing and the flaw jumps right out.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #10
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Yes 3rd Eye , as always bring the thunder !!! Great entry !!
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->