MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
Ryan921
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Fark Me... call in the experts!

http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Ryan921/library/

ok so here's the story. A friend of mine and I have been working on this guy for a couple months. Yesterday was its maiden voyage.. well sort of.. I was going to just do a dry run to check temprature control and to season the grates. But still very exciting none the less. So I put charcoal in the basket, let them go for a while then threw on a healthy peice of wood and then... drumroll.... rocky theme song playing in my head.... wait for it... wait for it...

NOTHING!!!!

Couldnt get them temp above 50 Degrees! after some adjustments i got it to roughly 100 buts thats not gonna do it.

I did pin point a couple of fairly modest leaks that need addressed but I dont think it could account for all the heat loss. I think one problem was that it was only about 30 degrees in columbus yesterday but I still think it should have been able to reach temperature (but what do i know?!?)

Does anyone have any insight? any help would be very much appreciated.

by the way the firebox is a old wood burning stove ducted in with a 6" stove pipe. the exhausts are 2.5" in diameter and enter 14" inside of the tank and stick out 10".

Let me know if you have any questions about the build that could help

Ryan
Ryan921 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 09:14 AM   #2
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

I can't see any pics?

How are you taking the temp.

Maybe it's on Celsius?

Old 03-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #3
Hornnumb2
Knows what a fatty is.

I am not a pit builder by any means, but I would say the heat is coming out of you firebox pipe and going straight out the exhaust. Was it hot in the firebox?
Hornnumb2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Bagman
On the road to being a farker

Did you run your dimensions through the pit calculator?
Concrete block whole hog pit
Bagman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
Garrett
Babbling Farker

You may not be getting enough air Into the firebox if you are only using the wheel dampers on the side. If so, start another fire and trying cracking the firebox open a little and see what happens. It also looks like the heat is coming in above the cooking grate. May need to come below what some kind of reverted plate to distribute the heat across the grate. I could be wrong but that was quick observation.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

With out any measurements looks like your firebox is to small. It could also be your draw. Maybe bigger hole from firebox to pit.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
I can't see any pics?
Did you click the link to the Photobucket album?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Ryan921
Knows what a fatty is.

I put another thermometer in the fire box and it was reading around 400 degrees F.

I did not do a pit calculator so i hope its not too small.

i tried to open the door of the firebox to let in more oxygen but it seemed to let the heat right out of the door so i couldnt really tell a difference as far as the temp in the tank goes. i think i will need some more holes lower on the firebox to let in air.

I will have to get exact measurements when I get home from work

do you think that the low air temps has a lot to do with it? like i said it was only around 30 degrees F yesterday and windy. i did pull it into the garage to block most of the wind

Thanks for the replies everyone

Old 03-17-2014, 09:42 AM   #9
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan921 View Post
I put another thermometer in the fire box and it was reading around 400 degrees F.

I did not do a pit calculator so i hope its not too small.

i tried to open the door of the firebox to let in more oxygen but it seemed to let the heat right out of the door so i couldnt really tell a difference as far as the temp in the tank goes. i think i will need some more holes lower on the firebox to let in air.

I will have to get exact measurements when I get home from work

do you think that the low air temps has a lot to do with it? like i said it was only around 30 degrees F yesterday and windy. i did pull it into the garage to block most of the wind

Thanks for the replies everyone
should be a lot hotter in the firebox.

My bet is not enough air flow.

I out an IR temp gauge on my firebox, its about 700f on the putside surface near the fire
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 09:52 AM   #10
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Quote:
http://s836.photobucket.com/user/Ryan921/library/

ok so here's the story. A friend of mine and I have been working on this guy for a couple months. Yesterday was its maiden voyage.. well sort of.. I was going to just do a dry run to check temprature control and to season the grates. But still very exciting none the less. So I put charcoal in the basket, let them go for a while then threw on a healthy peice of wood and then... drumroll.... rocky theme song playing in my head.... wait for it... wait for it...

NOTHING!!!!

Couldnt get them temp above 50 Degrees! after some adjustments i got it to roughly 100 buts thats not gonna do it.

I did pin point a couple of fairly modest leaks that need addressed but I dont think it could account for all the heat loss. I think one problem was that it was only about 30 degrees in columbus yesterday but I still think it should have been able to reach temperature (but what do i know?!?)

Does anyone have any insight? any help would be very much appreciated.

by the way the firebox is a old wood burning stove ducted in with a 6" stove pipe. the exhausts are 2.5" in diameter and enter 14" inside of the tank and stick out 10".

Let me know if you have any questions about the build that could help

Ryan
You should be commended just on the incentive on building this smoker on it own merits. Here's a few details I noticed.

The key to an effective smoker is airflow... and room to burn an efficient fire, too. Looks like you may need to increase the air intakes and have plenty of (chimney) draft - drawing out the smoke on the opposite side of the firebox... unless its a reverse flow. Using a single 6" pipe out of the firebox will not be enough - learned that the hard way (way back when a double barrel smoker was on my project). Had to add a second 6" pipe just to keep the thermal energy improved.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:08 AM   #11
luke duke
is One Chatty Farker

Looks like it the firebox is too small and you need a larger opening from the firebox to the smoker. How thick is the firebox metal?
luke duke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #12
Ryan921
Knows what a fatty is.

well i suppose i will have to sleep on it and figure out how to put in another pipe without creating an eyesore.

Luke, the firebox is just over a quarter inch thick all the way around.

I really dont want to scrap my firebox so I will do what it takes to make it work if you guys think it is at all possible.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #13
ButtBurner
Babbling Farker

I think the firebox might work

Maybe you can cut a slot in it between the 2 chambers underneath the tube for more airflow?

just a thought
Member Great Lakes BBQ Assn
ServSafe Food Handler Certified
[URL]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Michigan-Custom-Que/327994370697180?sk=timeline[/URL]
ButtBurner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #14
peeps

Quote:
well i suppose i will have to sleep on it and figure out how to put in another pipe without creating an eyesore.

Luke, the firebox is just over a quarter inch thick all the way around.

I really dont want to scrap my firebox so I will do what it takes to make it work if you guys think it is at all possible.
Just do 2 more 6" pipes on each side. Route them to the mid point of each grate. Add a baffle above the pipe where it enters the smokebox to distribute the heat and raise the cooking grates above the pipe inlets.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Bludawg

Your fire box needs up sized by 2/3 at least it needs to be 33% of the total Ci of the oven, and your inlet to the oven is undersized I have more inlet on my CharGrillrer. Tools are free all you need to do is pick them up & use them http://www.feldoncentral.com/bbqcalculator.html